• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dodge RamVan Carb settings?81(pics)

vroomvroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.3/2.9? smal
Transmission
Automatic
i think its a 81...not to sure, i do have some pictures...

of course loud knocking when i go to start it, i know its old with a 5 at front for kms, but before my friend came over and messed with idle screw i think it was fine...

number 2 i moved gas idle on carb...one of the 2 screws on left side!

so it needs to be reset before i start buying more gas etc....

i was wondering what you guys had in mind for all these screws, 2 adjustments on the left side... then one idle screw on right side, WHICH IT SAYS DONT ADJUST but my stupid friend adjusted it anyways what can i say my fault but id like to try and fix it with your guys help...

thanks for reading...

Last edited:

vroomvroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.3/2.9? smal
Transmission
Automatic
try again picture... ok there we go... now ya , super old bla bla , i know its got some oil in it, coolant,i think tranny oil is over full but...

any help would do... i know about turning the gas idle screw, one of the 2 on left , i was told screw in all the way then 2 in a half screws out... but theres 2 so which one right...

well if u owned it what would u do to try and fix it, give me play by play that would be awesome, i bought some fast start to!... i put 10 bucks in gas in .... i have a ranger when it runs outta gas 5 bucks doesnt start it, i remember last time i put 20 into this van and it started up so im going to get more gas in a gas can and put it in after a reply...but before i do that id like to see if you guys got a manual picture or something to adjust this carb cause as u see im lost... thanks for reading
oh ya its a v8... and when we took carb off and put it back on, it did start back up...

Last edited:

vroomvroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.3/2.9? smal
Transmission
Automatic
few more pictures

vroomvroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.3/2.9? smal
Transmission
Automatic

vroomvroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.3/2.9? smal
Transmission
Automatic
few more pictures

come on picture work

vroomvroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.3/2.9? smal
Transmission
Automatic

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
It has been a long time since I had my van with the 360 2 barrel. If your going for fuel economy your gonna want to put a autolite/motorcraft 2 barrel on it. I found adjusting the timing so it pings a couple times when you floor it and quickly goes away. does the vacuum pull off for the choke not work it goes to manifold vacuum. Hook the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum and time it according to ping. Trial and error get it up to about 35 mph and floor it it should ping slightly. I believe that is a holly/carter carb if you can adapt a autolite 2100 to it you would have better control of the air fuel but a 1.21 venturi with #64 jets would work good if you can adapt it otherwise rebuild that one and figure out how to dial it in float level is real important. once again trial and error depending on engine condition is the only way to dial it in. How old is the timing chain pull the cap off the dizzy and turn the crank back and fourth until the rotor turns both ways you dont want much slop at all timing is critical. Especially before you finish dialing in the carb. GL

vroomvroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.3/2.9? smal
Transmission
Automatic
does the vacuum pull off for the choke not work it goes to manifold vacuum. Hook the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum and time it according to ping.once again trial and error depending on engine condition is the only way to dial it in. How old is the timing chain pull the cap off the dizzy and turn the crank back and fourth until the rotor turns both ways you dont want much slop at all timing is critical. Especially before you finish dialing in the carb. GL
im a lil new to these kind of carbs , my ranger is NOTHING like this.

do you mean turn the key over and see if the carb moves back and forth?...

i turned the key over...carb flaps didnt move

Last edited:

vroomvroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.3/2.9? smal
Transmission
Automatic
does the vacuum pull off for the choke not work it goes to manifold vacuum. Hook the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum and time it according to ping.
id like to know how to do that.

vroomvroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.3/2.9? smal
Transmission
Automatic
How old is the timing chain pull the cap off the dizzy and turn the crank back and fourth until the rotor turns both ways you dont want much slop at all timing is critical. Especially before you finish dialing in the carb. GL
dizzy?... whats the crank?...

i know im sounding pretty new as i am but i gotta learn some time...

id love another reply from you that would be awesome...

explain it a lil easier for someone like me to understand...

:icon_welder:

vroomvroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.3/2.9? smal
Transmission
Automatic
found it, got new pics

found the hose...found a carb diagram...

just looking where it goes...i think i found it...got some new pics

vroomvroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.3/2.9? smal
Transmission
Automatic

check it out.... do i hook it to the green circle part?, cause in diagram it says hook to saucer thingy, but saucer on my carb has a plug on end... then under it theres a spot where it looks like it goes, which i circled...

vroomvroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.3/2.9? smal
Transmission
Automatic

lil blurry, but it says and pretty clear, hook to saucer, but if u look at my picture theres a rubber plug on end, but on bottom of that mechinism(cant spell) it seems like it goes to it, what u think

vroomvroom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.3/2.9? smal
Transmission
Automatic
turned key over flaps arnt moving on carb.

i think timing like ur saying...

waiting for replys thanks for ur help

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals