• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

All balls and TRE

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
I'm going to replace all ball joints and TREs. Is there a best order in replacing them? Maybe the balls first then the TREs.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Unless you're removing the control arms to do the ball joints (i.e 98+ 2wd) it doesn't matter.

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
Well I changed all four ball joints and all TREs. I also did a at home front end alignment. I steers better than it ever has. It wasn't very hard with using the Advanced Auto Parts loaner tools. What a help they are. I couldn't have done it with out them. Also, YouTube was a big help as is TRS. I didn't have to do this myself. I can afford to pay someone to do it. I grew up watching my daddy work on cars and stuff and while he wasn't good at it and didn't have the right tools, it imprinted me with working on cars. So I did it for the joy of the challenge. At nearly 71 I pretty pleased with myself.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
After driving my truck for a while I decided it wasn't right. So I took it in for an alignment. I was told the camber was off and that the only way to fix it is with an off centered upper ball joint. I did some searching on google and found something about jeeps but that's it. Do you know anything about them? Also, the camber is off by -.51 and -.65. Is that even worth bothering with.?.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The upper ball joint is in a bushing that is off centered already. Changing the bushing changes caster and camber. There is a multi-adjustable bushing inside a bushing that will do both at once.
Scroll down to the steering section, there are two that you should look at;

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
I now see that. I don't think the guy even looked at it. He is young and inexperienced. I suspect he didn't know what he was doing. So I got an angle finder and checked it. I found that it was just about perfect. I checked the toe and found that he had mess that up. I carefully readjusted it got it as close as possible. Took it for a drive and it was fine. I'm finished with the front end.

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
after 8 months of driving I find that I must have messed up something in the frontend. I just noticed that the inner thread of both front tires are worn off and the steel wire is exposed. WTH! What does that mean? Toe in/Toe out?, camber, as the garage guy told me?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Not to mock you... but depending on what you bought I've seen chinese crap front end parts dead in less than 8 months. It's just a fact of life now, 90% of aftermarket parts are absolutely trash not worth buying.

Buy oem or you deal with this kinda stuff. Even the good brands like moog and trw are now complete crap.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
after 8 months of driving I find that I must have messed up something in the frontend. I just noticed that the inner thread of both front tires are worn off and the steel wire is exposed. WTH! What does that mean? Toe in/Toe out?, camber, as the garage guy told me?
Toe-out, and/or negative camber (most likely it's toed way out if it only took 8 months to happen).

Since you're inclined to DIY, have you looked at this article?
From what you described happening to your tires, it sounds like potentially the suspension was bound up slightly when you adjusted it 8 months ago... This shows (about halfway down) how to relieve any bind or tension between the two front tires so your measurements will be accurate (the binding can come from a number of reasons, one of them being bad toe, another simply from how the truck was parked). It's written for a 4WD, so the part about beam pivot height likely won't be the same if you have a 2WD, but everything else is essentially the same procedure.

×2 on the garbage auto parts... there's a ton of shit out there now. Given the current dismal state of the ball joint market, I wouldn't trust anything not having the Motorcraft name (hopefully they're still available).

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
thanks for the information. as soon as it warms up a little i'm going to look at it again.

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
could worn out rubber bushing in the front end be the cause? both tires are very worn out at the very inner part of each tire.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Wait, did you ever actually get it aligned after doing the original work? By that I mean by a machine and not fishing line and a plumb bob...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals