• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck bed liner over spray-on liner

RangerDanger2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
No Worries
Hello all! Just purchased my first Ranger and it has crappy looking spray-on bed liner. I'd like to install a new plastic bed liner over the top but the manufacturers are telling me it wont fit unless I remove the old spray-on bed liner.

It seems if I put the new bed liner over the spray-on, it would just be a tight fit.

Has anyone have experience putting a new plastic bed liner over thick spray-on and what was your experience?

Thanks,

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It really is gonna come down to which liner you buy and how thick the coating is. I put anti skid tape down in my bed under my factory ford drop in liner and it still fits fine. The tape is probably 20 mils thick which I'd imagine is about what a "thick" spray in liner would be.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Some of the spray in liner jobs I’ve seen have been pretty thick, so the dealer might be right. I didn’t measure it but I would guess the layer was about and 1/8” thick, so you would lose about 1/4” total in bed width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Try it, then if you have to remove...remove

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
How about just redoing the sprayed in liner?

I can't imagine your typical Rhino Line or whatever would add enough for it to matter. LineX and similar are pretty thick. But those plastic bedliners are usually kinda loose fitting... I'd think most of them would fit over just about any sprayed in job.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd say get the bed liner and see if it fits. If it doesn't fit then note where it is hitting and remove the spray on stuff at that spot. I wouldn't remove it all because it is still serving a purpose. Those full bed liners can do more damage if you bed is already starting to rust. Unless you have a cap or a topper of some sort water will get trapped underneath the liner and cause rust. I personally have a partial bed liner. It was a full bed liner from a full size truck I got for free. I took a cut off wheel and cut it out to fit in the bed. Works great for as it protects the bottom of the bed but I can also grab it and pull it out and spray if off like if I were hauling wood or gravel or mulch.

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can buy rattle cans of bed liner and redo your bed. I have used the hercules brand from pep boys (was OK for a while) and then the armour coat from I think autozone harbor freight and it is working out pretty good. Also depending on who installed the liner some have a lifetime guarantee and as 2d owner might be able to have redone at a discount? I have had the drop ins and they have their pro's/cons. I prefer the spray in but they are $$.

Also it all depends on what you haul. The drop ins are usually very slick stuff slides about on them unless heavy. The spray in are fairly sticky and stuff dont slide around.

So for around $50-60 you can DIY a truck bed and can have a lot of $$ left over. Out here in AZ I have picked up from roadsides about 7-8 drop ins lost from vehicles. Some chebby some other universals etc. Dont use them, but cut them up for putting under tires on vehicles I dont drive a lot. Also they are found used on craigslist, so instead of looking for new look there then see if the truck is still available what the bed under it looks like.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I have picked up from roadsides about 7-8 drop ins lost from vehicles. Some chebby some other universals etc. Dont use them, but cut them up for putting under tires on vehicles I dont drive a lot.
Why would you do this? I don't understand:icon_confused:

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have picked up from roadsides about 7-8 drop ins lost from vehicles. Some chebby some other universals etc. Dont use them, but cut them up for putting under tires on vehicles I dont drive a lot.
Why would you do this? I don't understand:icon_confused:
Obviously he doesn't want his tires touching dirt. I've never heard of people doing this either so that threw me for a loop. They have much greater purposes in life than to be used for park cars. to each their own I guess. I like mine in the truck how I have it cut out to fit the floor of the bed only. I also have another one that I found and I cut the sides off of it and screwed it to my trailer. So now my trailer is easy to clean up after doing a load of wood.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wonder if these liners are heat form-able? If so I could form the sides so it would slide out past the wheel wells to make cleanout super easy, like after loads of gravel or sand or construction garbage. I will have to test this out.

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tires sitting on cement will dry out fairly fast supposedly from the stuff in it. So Since I dont use/need them what else are they useful for? I tried to give some away but people didn't want them. The RV and the big truck sit in my shed unused for several months at a time so thus I try to keep the tires off the cement.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense, concrete draws moisture from wherever it can get it. I could see how, over time, that would affect the rubber tires.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can see that too but I don't know if that cheap corrugated plastic will withstand the weight of an RV. Depending on what model RV you have. If its a 40' diesel pusher then it will just crush the plastic. I wouldn't waste a perfectly good bed liner though just for that though. If you post them on craigslist then I'm sure you could get a few bucks for them. I will try to get pics of how I used them on my truck and trailer. My truck is full of stuff so you wont see the complete bed liner but you will get the idea.

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought a new liner for one of my trucks, I carried a 10 ft slide in camper on it. I called the manuf and asked about the weight and they said dont worry about it, just make sure it wasn't an over the bed type. Weight from the rv. truck whatever is really minimum and well dispersed by the tires. I am not a math wiz, but if you have x weight on 1 point then it will exert Y pressure. If you disperse the weight over several inches i.e. 10-12 as from a tire the weight on point is greatly diminished, then divide the total by the amount of contact (tires) and it really isn't that much. Have used these things for such over the years and no issues. BTW the old camper was about 2500 lbs or so and never did have any effect on the liner. I still see these things along the roadways, but dont stop to pickem up any more. Like I said tried to give em away and they were not wanted as more folks want the spray in I guess?

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
I am not a math wiz, but if you have x weight on 1 point then it will exert Y pressure. If you disperse the weight over several inches i.e. 10-12 as from a tire the weight on point is greatly diminished, then divide the total by the amount of contact (tires) and it really isn't that much.
And you say you're no math wiz...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals