• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Slow crank with good batt and connections?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Truck 2009 2.3 auto 67k miles. Battery is 2 years old 590cca and voltage tests at 12.5 engine off, alternator running at startup voltage is 14.4, current draw with engine off is 80ma with sjb still on 25ma after an hour, ohm test ground to block is zero, positive to starter is zero.

Issue started during the insane cold so I just chalked it up to battery being cold (had to jump it each morning below 5 degrees but it started fine with a jump). It was 50 today and the truck still cranked slow this morning... so now im certain something is actually failing and not just a cold related issue.

Thoughts? Im thinking starter but in my years starters just flat out fail... never had one go out slow?

HighMileage93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l I4
Transmission
Manual
That 590cca seems low to me. My 93 2.3 calls for a 850cca battery. Could have an armature going bad in that starter though. It won't cost you anything to get it checked at least.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, +1 ^^^

See what battery voltage is when Cranking over engine, should stay above 9.8volts, above 10v is best.

Under that and amp draw is too high, could be cables or starter motor

You can disable fuel pump by pulling FP relay for a No Start and longer cranking
Fancy name for this test is a Load Test

12.5v on at rest battery(after it sits for at least 4 hours) means it has 75% of its rating
So 75% of new CCA

12.3v is 50%, and time to look for battery sales, lol.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Oem battery was 575cca, i have 590cca (not ca) I originally thought the same, battery was cheap low amp... (not ruling out a crap battery just giving specs). The truck also starts fine after warming up. I even did multiple starts and shut downs after warm. Did clear engine flood mode (held the pedal to the floor) and let the starter run 10 secs after warm and it cranked like a champ. The slow crank only happens on cold starts.

I have an old shcumaker spelling? Load tester ill throw that on it in the am. It can do a dry load test but also check volt drop when starting. I left my hood open to check battery voltage overnight without setting off the sjb by opening the door. Ill do all those test and get back...

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would see about taking it somewhere to have a battery tester do a load test. We have brand new batteries all the time that go bad after a few months. Normally from people not disconnecting them like they should when they sit but new batteries can go bad too. I assume the CCA drops a lot when you go to actually crank the engine and that is why it will not start. I would think the issue is specifically with the battery since you say it will jump start fine.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Just wanted to give an update. I charged and load tested the battery, checked out perfect. Did another parasitic draw test just to be sure, also perfect. Cleaned all the cable connections and terminals, perfect. So I took the starter off and took it over to advance auto to do a bench load test on it. It wizzed up and the bendiz shot out good but the fancy pants computer said it was drawing too much current for whatever reason.

I replaced it and the truck starts faster than it has in at least a couple years. Definitely a first for me having a starter fail "partially" like that... In 30 years ive only see them just flat out die one morning.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the update.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Ive had a couple do that.

Not so much on smaller engines, but on my big ol V8s

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The starter in my F150 has been doing that for quite a few years now. But it happens when the engine is warm. I'm sure it's a starter issue, have replaced everything else. I should fix it but I've only put maybe 200 miles on it in the past couple years so it's not a huge deal, I just try to park facing downhill in case I need to roll start it, haha

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ive had a couple do that.

Not so much on smaller engines, but on my big ol V8s
And oddly enough I think I have 4 or 5 reman 429/460 starters laying somewhere in my basement from my many failed projects over the years... :icon_rofl:

somewhere I still have a fresh bored, line honed, tapped freeze plugged, porcupined and girdled 460 block packed in oil... I need to clean my basement.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
...Definitely a first for me having a starter fail "partially" like that... In 30 years ive only see them just flat out die one morning.
A friend of mine is a starter and alternator re builder. he has told me in the past that the gear reduction ford starters will have 2 of the 4 brushes fail and cause issues like that. Being a fleet mechanic in the northeast, what i have seen bring them down 99 percent of the time is the braid between the solenoid and motor rotting out and burning off.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals