• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9l tapping noise... Help!

Michael88STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The cam bearings aren't that hard to do. I didn't see it myself, and this is admittedly a "friend of a friend" type story, but I heard tell of a guy that would do 2.9 cam bearings with the engine in place. He'd tear the front cover and cam out, remove the radiator and go through the grill with the tool.
Yes I have done it this was before without removing the engine so it is possible

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MrScene

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You guys are all so helpful :)
Im trying to find a donor vehicle. Do you guys think that a bronco II engine would work? Also Im trying to figure out what all I should do to the truck in general just as a build.

Michael88STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You guys are all so helpful :)
Im trying to find a donor vehicle. Do you guys think that a bronco II engine would work? Also Im trying to figure out what all I should do to the truck in general just as a build.
Do you mean pulling a 2.9L out of a bronco ii and putting it in your ranger? If that's what you mean then yes they are the same motor in those as well

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Any 88-92 2.9 would plug right in.

86/87 has EGR and knock sensor. I think you can just remove the EGR, block it off, and everything would be fine.

A 2.8 would bolt in but be a step backwards and require extra work.

A 3.0 wont even bolt in.

A 4.0 OHV is a common swap for the 2.9, but its overrated IMO.

Mike Tonon

I miss the throttley sound of my 2.9. I would try doing a very good engine cleaning. Like sea foam in the crank case and maybe through the fuel and intake, while you’re at it. Projectfarm on YouTube did videos on this with his 2.9 Ranger and it quieted right down and ran smoother.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals