• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 light not staying on

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When I switch to 4x4 high the 4x4 light comes on and I hear the transfer case. The truck goes into 4x4 but a few seconds later the light goes off. 4x4 seems to work fine and when I switch back to 4x2 it seems to go back to 4x2 fine! Any ideas? TIA

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Problem seems to be random. It started snowing about 2 hours ago and I put it in 4x4 high while in park. It seemed to work fine and the light has stayed on.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Keep shifting it back and forth once you can use two-wheel drive again. You have to cycle the system on these things at least once a month to keep it working. 4X4 high and low.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Keep shifting it back and forth once you can use two-wheel drive again. You have to cycle the system on these things at least once a month to keep it working. 4X4 high and low.
Ok, this is the only thing on my truck that is not working properly. When I switch to 4x4 high I can hear a click and then 4x4 light comes on. Then sometimes the light goes off in a few seconds and other times the light stays on. The actual 4x4 is working fine it switches back and forth properly. It it appears that the relay is in the switch. When I turn it on and it is working correctly I hear two clicks and I when I turn it off I hear two clicks. I'm thinking of throwing a $30 switch at it. Maybe Adsm08 or RonD will stop by for a visit? ;)

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm thinking it might be the module instead of the switch. Haven't ordered any parts yet? Anyone want to take a guess, feel free?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just noticed I put this in "urgent" by mistake. Probably should be moved to the 4wd systems. It's not urgent. Thanks.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have not done anything yet to try and fix this issues. Still confused about what it might be and not in the mood to throw parts at it.

Just to repeat, the 4x4 seems to work fine, the light just not always stay on when in 4x4 high. I din't bother checking 4x4 low mostly because i cant drive it on low.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Update: I decided to pull the radio and check out the 4wd switch and the module. I fiddled with the 2 harnesses to the module and it appears that maybe the bottom harness was not snapped in all the way. I put it all back together and so far after switching in and out of 4 wd about 6 times it works perfectly. I hope that was it.

Thanks for all the help and thanks to Adsm08 who helped me on a PM.

"Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning" TB12

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Update: I decided to pull the radio and check out the 4wd switch and the module. I fiddled with the 2 harnesses to the module and it appears that maybe the bottom harness was not snapped in all the way. I put it all back together and so far after switching in and out of 4 wd about 6 times it works perfectly. I hope that was it.

Thanks for all the help and thanks to Adsm08 who helped me on a PM.

"Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning" TB12
UPDATE(fixed, I think)
Problem appeared again right after my last post a few years back. Problem seemed to be getting a little worse and I didnt want to end up losing 4wd in da winter. I decided to throw a part at it. It was either going to be the module or shift motor. My hunch was the module. RA had a MC w/no core charge for $160 delivered. I went with the module. I just installed it and shifted into 4wd 4 times and 4wd low once. So far it is working. I'll keep you updated if anything changes. The install was a POC. Module was behind head unit. I popped the head unit out in 2 seconds with the 2 u shape things and then did a R&R on the module. 15 minutes tops.

This is a picture of the old module. The old part # was different then the new part. The new part# was even different then the part # that I ordered from rockauto.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Those were used in 2001 and up Ranger 4x4s, the 2001 to 2005 4x4 modules were a known failure point, they were redesigned for 2006-2011 Rangers but are not backwards compatible with the 2001-2005 wiring

So good choice to see if thats the problem

Just as a heads up, if there is a shift motor problem the 4WD lights will usually Flash when you try to shift to 4WD because motor is not moving as it should, this can be a blown shift motor fuse or failed/failing shift motor itself.

Not shifting to 4WD without the Flashing lights or 4WD lights going off after shifting to 4WD is usually a module problem .

The dash switch in not a likely failure point unless its been obviously damaged in some way, just has 3 resistors inside.

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Those were used in 2001 and up Ranger 4x4s, the 2001 to 2005 4x4 modules were a known failure point, they were redesigned for 2006-2011 Rangers but are not backwards compatible with the 2001-2005 wiring

So good choice to see if thats the problem

Just as a heads up, if there is a shift motor problem the 4WD lights will usually Flash when you try to shift to 4WD because motor is not moving as it should, this can be a blown shift motor fuse or failed/failing shift motor itself.

Not shifting to 4WD without the Flashing lights or 4WD lights going off after shifting to 4WD is usually a module problem .

The dash switch in not a likely failure point unless its been obviously damaged in some way, just has 3 resistors inside.
Thanks for the info Ron! It's much appreciated!

Fyi: I switched in and out of 4wd Hi today and all systems go!

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals