• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exhaust work -Removing Exhaust Mani Bolts

Warmblood58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Maintain it dammit!
In the past I have been lucky removing exhaust studs known to break (Volvo 740 series) I am going stick with my stock exhaust manifolds and do some cat back work-the down pipes were recently mangled by a pro and would like a exhaust shop to make those sections new. In the meantime, My exhaust manifold is rusty-would like to pull, bead blast, (check for level. cracks, etc) coat and reseal. The bolts look horrible - naturally these would be replaced. What kind of hell might I expect in removing these exhaust mani bolts? Spend a week treating with acetone/atf to ease removal? Are Dorman OEM look exhaust manifolds junk? Better than Ford OEM? Anyone use these? Thanks!

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You are pulling the manifolds off the engine? Don't worry too much about breaking bolts. Once the manifolds are off it will be relatively easy to pull the remainder, especially with oxy/acet.
The only problem I can foresee is if the manifold can't clear the broken bolt. Then a sawzall comes in handy.

Warmblood58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Maintain it dammit!
You are pulling the manifolds off the engine? Don't worry too much about breaking bolts. Once the manifolds are off it will be relatively easy to pull the remainder, especially with oxy/acet.
The only problem I can foresee is if the manifold can't clear the broken bolt. Then a sawzall comes in handy.

Thanks! I am mostly curious if the bolts tend to come out easy - I am going to hit them with my ATF/acetone mix for a week and then hopefully they will ease out. I hate looking at rusty exhaust manifolds ( I know, I know) Might find NOS (if they exist) or another used pair have them cleaned up and ceramic coated - (this is likely to be my last truck) and I want to take care of it -

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals