• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brand new head gaskets and heads, coolant in oil. HELP with compression readings

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just finished up my compression test and need help with the results. But first a little back story. Naught this truck for $900 not running. Got it running after running through some wiring and find it had leaky valves. So I bought some refurbished complete heads from oreillys. Didnt have them checked because they are new. Put them on, following the exact step by step instructions in the tech library. Did everything correct. Started it up, drove it about 20 miles. Took it back home to re torque the lower intake and found coolant in the oil. A lot. So in Hope's it was just the lower intake I bought a compression tester to test it out. Cylinder 1 reads 110 psi, cylinder 2 reads 115, cylinder 3 reads 115, so. Passenger side head seems fine, all the compression is pretty low assuming rings probably got trashed in those 20 miles. Now this is where it gets crazy. Cylinder 4 is at half. 60 psi. Huge leak there. Cylinder 5 is at 145 psi, being the highest compression. Cylinder 6 is at 120. Same as majority. So obviously cylinder 4 is leaking. But what's up with cylinder 5? Theres no way every cylinder is leaking except for 5. If the rest of the "good" cylinders are between 110 and 120, then why is 5 so high considering it is closest to the bad cylinder?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals