• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Amp wire questions

6gun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
??????
Tire Size
39X12.50R17
My credo
I'm not afraid of dying, not living terrifies me!
I'm asking for some car audio wisdom here. I'm getting ready to install a 300W Blaupunkt 8" amplified subwoofer under each seat of my '99 standard cab.

I was talking with my boss who is an electronics genius and also owned his own car radio system install shop in the 90's mentioning that I was going to pick up some 8AWG wire for the amps as outlined in the installation manual. He stated that was way oversized and to stick to 10AWG. :icon_confused:

After thinking about it, and running it through every electrical formula I have available, I realized that by all electrical laws he is correct. So my question is.....:icon_confused:

Why does the manual call for an #8 when technically a #12 would be sufficient? :dunno: Asking purely for education, I will be using #8 anyway. :icon_hornsup:

Skirbykat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'd run a single 4ga from the battery, then use fused distribution to (2) 8ga for each. Then you'll be ready if ever upgrading in the future.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

6gun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
??????
Tire Size
39X12.50R17
My credo
That was my initial ideal. I'm just not getting the reason behind such a large wire for such a small load. #12 wire is more than enough to support 300 Watts unless I'm missing something.
I'd run a single 4ga from the battery, then use fused distribution to (2) 8ga for each. Then you'll be ready if ever upgrading in the future.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Bigger wire = Less resistance. :icon_confused:that is the only reason I could think of:dunno:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
8ga covers the manufacturers a$$

You also have the heat factor and wire manufacturers specs

Resistance causes "heat" so wires heat up, insulation is the makers choice not the buyers, lol
Is the wire solid copper, or copper clad, or aluminum?

8ga covers the gambit of variables in DIY installations for the device manufacturer

If you do the math(amps and length) and use good wire then you can use the size you calculate as needed

Fuses need to be used on the SOURCE end of the wire, NOT the device end

i.e. Battery(12v)--FUSE------------------------------------------Device

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I would recommend no less than 10awg for each amp. 300watts would be 25amps, which 12awg should handle. But... That 300watts is probably the peak output power of each amp. Due to electrical losses, they may use more than 25 amps of input current during peak output. Furthermore, good electrical design dictates sizing your wire and fuse at 125% of rated full load current. That gets you to around 31amps. That's where I come up with using 10awg wire as long as it's not too long. And, really, how long can the circuit really get in a small standard cab pickup? That should be sufficient unless you run full 300 watts all the time. In that case, err on the side of safety and use the 8awg which will have less resistance. Therefore it will develop less heat and develop less voltage drop, therefore guaranteeing full voltage to the amp during heavy use. As wire heats up, it's resistance increases. As resistance increases in your wire, you drop voltage across the wire and your load sees less voltage. That's what wire sizing is all about.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

6gun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
??????
Tire Size
39X12.50R17
My credo
I would recommend no less than 10awg for each amp. 300watts would be 25amps, which 12awg should handle. But... That 300watts is probably the peak output power of each amp. Due to electrical losses, they may use more than 25 amps of input current during peak output. Furthermore, good electrical design dictates sizing your wire and fuse at 125% of rated full load current. That gets you to around 31amps. That's where I come up with using 10awg wire as long as it's not too long. And, really, how long can the circuit really get in a small standard cab pickup? That should be sufficient unless you run full 300 watts all the time. In that case, err on the side of safety and use the 8awg which will have less resistance. Therefore it will develop less heat and develop less voltage drop, therefore guaranteeing full voltage to the amp during heavy use. As wire heats up, it's resistance increases. As resistance increases in your wire, you drop voltage across the wire and your load sees less voltage. That's what wire sizing is all about.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!
This makes sense! I'm a service tech who does a great deal of electrical work and I take a great deal of pride in doing neat, proper work. I have no problem running #8, my boss's statement just got me to wondering so I thought I'd see what everybody else had to say on the subject.

Thanks for all the replies.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
300 watts aint nothing. As far as car audio goes, the bigger wire the better. That's just common sense. You can run a size 4 wire if you wanted. Wouldn't hurt anything except your eyes lol. Most of the wiring kits at stores are sufficient for basic car audio (less than 1000 watts). I don't know if you will hear those 8" speakers that well. You might though. I'm just so used to my truck (it hits hard) so it's hard to compare apples to oranges you know. Make sure your amp can breathe too. If these are self contained amps that don't have a fan then I would be sure to get as much air space as possible to keep them from over heating. I've never used an all-n-one amp/sub combo so I don't know much about those compared to a regular car audio set up (amp and subs separate). I've been known to wire up amps to factory radios and all other redneck shortcuts around things lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals