• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 xlt

bootlegkev

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
96 xlt 4.6 swap

i have a XLT 96 ranger i'm going to swap the drive train out of a 94 Lincoln Town car. will my trans mounts be the same. mine is a two wheel drive 4.0 im putting a 4.6 litter out of the town car in it...the car was a rare find it has 40,000 miles on it.. i would like to know if my mounts will the same.. and if possible how much of a power difference there will be... thank you

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

No, motor and transmission mounting will need to be changed

1996 4.0l OHV V6 was rated as 160HP and 210ft/lb torque

1994 4.6l was rated as 210HP and 270ft/lb torque

IMO sell the low mile 4.6l and transmission and get a 5.0l V8 and trans from Explorer
It fits and has same HP and torque as 4.6l, actually slightly more

Explorer 5.0l V8 was rated as 215HP and 280ft/lb torque

Good read here on the 4.6l engines, there were a few different models: https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/engines-fuel-systems/the-ford-4-6l-281-cid-engine/

If you scroll down about 3/4 of the way you will see Engine Dimensions

The 5.0l(302) is 19" wide and BARELY fits between heater box and steering shaft in a Ranger

The 4.6l SOHC is 28.5" wide!!!!, so you will need to move the steering shaft, and modify the heater box quite a bit

So alot of extra work for same or slightly less power than the 5.0l Swap which has been done many times before, so lots of tips and info available

Ford used the 4.6l V8 in a few models, maybe you could find one with clean body and interior but bad engine/trans
Swap it out and sell it to fund the 5.0l Ranger conversion.

Just an opinion

Last edited:

bootlegkev

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the Advice I happen to have stroker kit for the 4.6 so I'm kinda stuck ... I'm just a poor boy too. .. thanks for answering my question

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals