• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

90 ranger 2wd 2.3 no spark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 90 ranger 2.3 and it has no spark . I have replaced the plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, idle air control valve, throttle position sensor, timing belt and tensioner, and the air intake temp sensor. I could get it started but it had a backfire out the exhaust so I pulled the harmonic balancer off and set the timing all of my pulleys were in the correct position and now all of the sudden it will not start and I have no spark. Please help

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Moved to proper forum.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It's either a bad crank sensor or a bad DIS module. And you won't have spark on the drivers side spark plugs while you are cranking in case that's how you are checking spark...

Both the crank sensor and DIS module are known issues, crank sensor more than the DIS module but both are possible.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2.3 no spark

I just replaced the crank sensor and im checking for spark on the passanger side.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Got spark now but still wont start please help

So i have spark now, i replaced the coils and that did the trick. First time i hooked my code reader up i had several codes. I replaced the faulty parts and the codes were gone. I could never get it to throw any codes so i put it in self test mode and i got two of the same codes from before. Air temp sensor out of range and coolant temp sensor out of range. Today i pulled the harness out and inspected it thoroughly. All the wires looked good and had no breaks. I am starting to believe that the engine control module is bad. All of these issues happened right after i replaced the fuel pump.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Sensors that are out of range, coolant and air temp, generally use a reference voltage provided by the computer, which is 'modulated' by the sensor and then provided as data to the computer. When 'out of range', it indicates the sensors are reporting very bogus information. The computer then goes into 'fallback' or 'limp home' mode, and does not do all it should/can to run the engine efficiently. I'd investigate those problems.
Look for the 'reference voltage', then ground and finally sensor return value connections, and use a VOM to measure the results.
tom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sensors that are out of range, coolant and air temp, generally use a reference voltage provided by the computer, which is 'modulated' by the sensor and then provided as data to the computer. When 'out of range', it indicates the sensors are reporting very bogus information. The computer then goes into 'fallback' or 'limp home' mode, and does not do all it should/can to run the engine efficiently. I'd investigate those problems.
Look for the 'reference voltage', then ground and finally sensor return value connections, and use a VOM to measure the results.
tom

I have done that and i had 4.5 volts to both sensors. Like i said all of this started right after i replaced the fuel pump. I put the harness back in and took the ecm out and it didnt smell bad and all the components inside looked good. I tried starting it and it is doing thesame thing. I pulled the codes and i got coolant temp out of range ait out of range pip failure maf circuit below minimum voltage and fuel pump circuit open ( battery to ecc processor. I have several codes this time and i haveno clue whats going on. I checked all the grounds and cleaned them. When i turn it over it wants to start and backfires sometimes through the intake. The timing was done correctly. Someone please help. !!!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals