• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

7.5 to 8.8 Swap (Components)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any Ranger axle will bolt in, but any 8.8 and 7.5s made after 1990 will not have the correct bolt spacing on the companion flange. You will need a spacer or a conversion joint and a later yoke.
I drilled and tapped the smaller pattern in my 8.8 flange. I guess Mustang flanges can be had with the smaller pattern too.

Kellogg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I found a post 1990 7.5 open with 4.10 gears for $150, would I be able to to swap my current companion flange onto this newer 7.5?

GT350HR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Nothing but Fords
I have a 2002 short bed with the 7.5 and I was simply going to do the Mustang disc brake swap. With all of the brake line rework , I decided to go to the local yard and ended up with a 2001 8.8 with 4.10s ( same as the 7.5) and convert it instead , then roll it under the truck. 10" drum brakes and factory sway bar. I already had a Mustang 8.8 t lock unit so while the axles were coming out anyway, I pulled the open and the pinion to install a solid pinion bearing spacer and the Mustang t lock. Pulled the anti lock ring off of the open and pressed it onto the t lock and popped it back into place. Back lash was spot on. I took this opportunity to install the Ford Racing ( production part too) aluminum finned cover. The instructions say it will not fit a diff that has the anti lock ring , and unless you use a die grinder to remove the offending internal fin , it won't . After ten minuted of "persuasion" from the die grinder the offending fin was lowered enough to allow the cover to bolt on perfectly. Another option ( which I did test fit) is the cover from a T bird IRS and that gives a mounting provision for a bolt on snatch hook.

Do I have to recallibrate for the 8.8 anti lock ring versus the 7.5 piece?

Started doing the disc conversion and it looks like I have to space the caliper toward the wheel a bit to "center the caliber " over the rotor. I believe that is normal and nothing to worry about. Once that is sorted , I will move to the brake line adjustments and finally the spacers to allow use of the stock e brake cables. Then I'll roll it under and start spinning wrenches to bolt it in. That will leave the 7.5 4.10 open with 9 or 10" ( or both) up to a needy person here in So Cal for pick up only . Nothing removed and the 10" brakes will be included.
Randy

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals