• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front seal and carbon buildup - opinions

Macneil87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Those pistons look pretty good to me. Try to clean off some of that carbon and get it back together.

Sorry for the late reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mazdab40004x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey thanks for the feedback! You confirmed exactly what I did. I decided not to mess with the timing cover and front seal, and to just put it all back together without a full rebuild. I bought new heads last week -- new castings, valves, and springs, not rebuilt. Also got new pushrods, rocker arms, fuel injectors and a bunch of new sensors which were all fouled up with mud. I've never taken the truck off road, but I think the previous owner must have lived in a mud puddle. I scraped two inches of mud off the TOP of the intake manifold. Finally got everything cleaned up last weekend which was a royal PITA. The Roloc brushes worked great but it was slow going because I don't have a great compressor.

My son and I got the new heads, lower intake, fuel injectors, and fuel rail on today. So I'm making progress! But so much more cleaning to do under the hood. I'm also installing all new radiator and heater hoses, water pump, thermostat, fan/clutch, and power steering hoses. It'll be like a new truck only a lot less expensive! This thing doesn't owe me much up to this point after 10 years of service so I can't argue with what I'm spending.

Macneil87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It should continue to give you many more smile miles with all that work being done.

I’d like to tear into mine and do some clean up but right now we have 5’ of snow and -25 C weather where I’m at. Plus, I’m an auto mechanic full time. By the time I get home, I don’t want to look at another vehicle usually lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mazdab40004x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I like to tell everyone around me in GA that I'm from 'up north', meaning New York area originally. But you are from the REAL up north. Good luck getting through winter up there in Canada. I complain when it gets into the 30s around here and the entire city literally shuts down when they even hear that a flurry might happen :)

Thanks for your help. -- Jeff

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals