Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 02-09-2019, 05:17 AM   #1
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold
Default first recalls

hmmm.... seems the shifty shift-inator brake locky-unlocky thingy could possibly be troublesome on some of the ponies already out of the barn...

awww shucks...we cant have nuthin nice..

dont matter...mine wont have one of those anyway...

https://www.trucks.com/2019/02/07/fo...ifting-defect/
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 29781F0E77DE4B Expires: March 31, 2019
Old 02-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #2
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute

My '85 had no such thing from the factory.

Check out my Build Thread

Check out my NAIAS Ranger Trip

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas A. Edison.
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #3
Rangerx2

Vehicle Year: 2012
Vehicle Model: F-150
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver w/a few upgrades
My credo: Always question authority
Rangerx2 is on a distinguished road

One more reason I don't buy first model-year vehicles-of any kind!
I look at this way though, at least Ford caught it now before most affected trucks even left dealers. This way they can mitigate damage done to the brand.
Where I live around Pittsburgh dealers are just starting to get a few top-shelf crew cabs and I haven't seen any out on the roads at all yet. I don't think there's any extended cabs within 100 miles of me. Is Ford not building extended cabs yet?
1986 Ranger Scab 2.3 5-speed; gone and I want it back
Rangerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerx2 View Post
Hard to say, they tweak stuff as they go too.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas A. Edison.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:07 PM   #5
sgtsandman

Vehicle Year: 2011
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver, camping, hauling, & future overland
My credo: Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I. One d
sgtsandman is on a distinguished road

Can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs... That being said, I home mine has the recall/fix done on it before I pay for it.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
2000sport

Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Model: Expedition
2000sport is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerx2 View Post
I look at this way though, at least Ford caught it now before most affected trucks even left dealers. This way they can mitigate damage done to the brand.
Where I live around Pittsburgh dealers are just starting to get a few top-shelf crew cabs and I haven't seen any out on the roads at all yet. I don't think there's any extended cabs within 100 miles of me. Is Ford not building extended cabs yet?
Local dealer has 2 running around, both supercabs. One's an XLT and the other is a Lariat. One disappeared (sold maybe) the other is being driver around by a salesman and used to demo. I'm wondering if their a tough sell until they start discounting them.
2000sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:21 AM   #7
Jim Oaks
Administrator

Vehicle Year: 1996
Jim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ford is recalling its brand-new 2019 Ford Ranger pickup trucks because the transmission can shift out of park when the vehicle is turned off and the driver’s foot is not on the brake pedal.

A wiring defect may interfere with the shifter interlock override, Ford said.

The company said it is unaware of any accidents or injuries resulting from the condition.

This recall affects approximately 3,500 Ranger vehicles in North America – approximately 3,000 in the United States and 500 in Canada.

The affected vehicles were built at the Michigan Assembly Plant from June 4, 2018, to Jan. 9, 2019. The plant was recently converted from small-car production to make the first Rangers sold in the U.S. since 2011.

Dealers will check the trucks to make sure the shifter interlock is working by trying to move the transmission shifter out of park with the vehicle off and without a foot on the brake pedal. If the shifter moves out of park, dealers will look for wiring interference, relocate the wiring and retest.

The Ranger enters a crowd of midsize pickups led by the Toyota Tacoma and Chevrolet Colorado. Fiat Chrysler Automobile also returns to the segment this year with the Jeep Gladiator.
What the hell! the vehicle moves when you take it out of park? Damn it!!

Last edited by Jim Oaks; 02-15-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Jim Oaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:58 AM   #8
rusty ol ranger

Vehicle Year: 1987
I use this vehicle for: Tetanus Awareness
My credo: A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
rusty ol ranger has a spectacular aura aboutrusty ol ranger has a spectacular aura about

Those electric interlocks are stupid anyways. My wifes escape drained the battery and i had no way of getting it into neutral to get it turned around for an easy jump
Member since March 2002
rusty ol ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #9
19Walt93

Vehicle Year: 1993
I use this vehicle for: Work & pleasure
My credo: If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
19Walt93 is on a distinguished road

Every Ford has a way to defeat the shift lock if it fails or the battery is dead, I can't say whether a used-to-be-mopar Fiat Jeep has this feature. Recalls aren't negative, they're free upgrades and Ford has done a good job over time with them. There are recalls for safety and emissions reasons and Ford has several other types of owner notification programs that are voluntary and done for customer satisfaction that can be identified by the program number. I'm making up these program numbers for illustration:19S01 would be the first 2019 safety recall, 19E01 would be the first emissions recall, 19B01 would be a CSP that automatically gets done-for example replace a widget or reflash a module, 19M01 would be another CSP that would only be performed if the problem occurred within the program time and mileage limits. There are other types of programs but you get the idea: "S" and "E" are recalls that may or may not have been mandated by NHTSA, the others are Ford volunteering to upgrade their product. Recalls by law have to be announced within 2 weeks of the defect being identified, whether a fix is available or not.
Some other companies handle it differently. The first person killed by a Takata airbag was documented in a Honda in 2001, it continued to happen and they identified the problem in 2004. Being the upstanding company they are, Honda announced the recall in the fall of 2014 when NHTSA held their feet to the fire. Consumer reports still loves 'em, though.
19Walt93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #10
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

As far as the interlock goes it is a minor thing, most people are pretty well trained by now you have to push the brake to get it out of gear so I doubt many even encountered the potential problem.

A little different than years sitting behind a claymore airbag (which took Ford 2 years to get the parts in to fix my wife's Edge)