Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Suspension & Armor > Mini-Truck Suspension

Notices

Mini-Truck Suspension All you lowriders step inside and post up.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #11
Ranger850

Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: SWB 2wd Ranger Edge 3.0 Oxford White / Charcoal int.
I use this vehicle for: Work and Play
Ranger850 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshT View Post
Most of the guys here speaking against the anti-sway bars are speaking from a 4wd and off-road stand point. My 84 was a 2wd "street oriented" truck. Speaking from my personal experience adding a 1 1/8 (IIRC) after market sway bar really helped with handling, adding the 1" BII bar in the rear helped it more. Moving from 14" wheels and tires up to 16" wheels made it even better. .
Good to know. I am also going the "street" route. I have a single cab Ranger Edge born with a 3.0 but looking to do a v8 swap as soon as I find a donor. I read in another thread that the longer the wheelbase, the better it rides. Well I have a SWB single cab, the shortest of all wheelbases, and want a smooth ride when I get more power. Looking to lower it too. Probably 2" all the way around.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 29781F0E77DE4B Expires: March 31, 2019
Old 09-22-2018, 08:57 PM   #12
cstarbard

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Transporting rubber ducks
My credo: It do like it be
cstarbard is on a distinguished road

In my experience, the best thing for these Rangers is to add leaves to the rear springs.

Every truck I have had came with two leaf rear springs: lots of body roll, Very weird axle wrap in the rear, lots of wheel hop, etc.

My current Ranger has brand new tow package (3 leaf) springs with an extra long add a leaf, and a short add a leaf. It rides like a tank. I certainly gained some roughness of ride quality from the over sprung nature of the rear, but the actual handling is better. Even on my old 2wd Ranger which I just added a short add a leaf to. Basically every time I add leaves the rear of the truck handles so much better.

My last truck was a 2wd, current is 4x4. Neither have/had rear sway bar. I didn't notice any difference removing sway bar from my 4x4, I definitely noticed difference from adding leaves every time I've done it.

IMO, the 2 leaf springs aren't enough for any Ranger. The worst handling Ranger I've ever driven was a 94 2wd with the explorer single leaf composite springs. Yikes.

I'm sure you are interested in keeping your truck low, but I don't see why you can't add some leaves and still keep it low, between shackle flip, under axle perches, blocks, etc.
cstarbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #13
Ranger305

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
Ranger305 is on a distinguished road

For the record, here is what I ended up with:

Painted everything I could after disassembling everything
2" Belltech drop kit, including Nitro Drop II shocks
3+1 1250lb leaves from an 01 Edge 2WD to replace my 1100lb 2+1's that are worn out
Sway bar from a '96 for so Splash with new Poly buchings

I haven't driven it yet as I need to finish a few things before I put the bed back on, but it's close, then I need to do the drop coils and shocks in the front. I'm told the new progressive rate coils will be good for handling.
Ranger305 is offline   Reply With Quote