• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 OHV refresh/upgrade questions

MarcFromNH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Keep the updates coming. I've got a spare 4.0 for my '96 that's a good candidate for some upgrades.

Did the shop have to do any welding to repair the sunken seats?

truckerdawg

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31X10.50
I will offer a different opinion. The 410 cam is a noticeable replacement over stock. When you get the right pushrods, and rockers there is no noise from the valvetrain unless your stock springs start to float above 5000 rpm. I would suggest new springs. This is a v6 and it will never pull at 800 rpms like a v8 would- this is not for you. The header needs checked for flatness to mate to the head-definitely-you cannot pull it with bolts and it does need to be as perfect a match as you can get so you do not have problems with blown exhaust gaskets. I have that header in ceramic and it cost me $50 to have it shaved.-still way better than the price of JBA. There is one better rocker than the others. I will have to search that. Get the luk progold clutch

Macneil87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to follow this thread from now on. I like the sound of what you are doing. I've got a 4L that is getting up in mileage and I wouldn't mind sourcing a good used one to do a rebuild on and swap it in once complete. I am curious to see how that cam performs for you.

Nice work on the porting. Every time I pull heads at work (I am a mechanic; and work on a fleet of fords..), I am tempted to port them but have never had the time.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Porting heads is a tricky business... an art form really. I've never had a flow bench so I typically sent out all the serious port work to someone that did.

What I did do regularly without a flow bench was match port the gaskets to both the intake and cylinder head ports... not so much on the header flange but a little to taper out the transition.

It appears from your pictures that you could improve the gasket match a bit. It would smooth out the flow between the mating surfaces.

GoMopar440

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did the shop have to do any welding to repair the sunken seats?
No welding, I believe they just replaced the exhaust seats with new ones.

This project kinda stalled out since the weather started turning wintry around here in Montana. I definitely don't plan on trying to pull the engine and trans while there's still snow on the ground. Building a garage (40' x 30') so I can work inside and out of the weather is on top of my priorities list for next year.:annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals