Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > 4WD Systems

Notices

4WD Systems Transfer Cases & Locking Hubs.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
Byronator

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT 2WD standard cab
I use this vehicle for: every day commuting and when it rains a lot or snows, I got clearance. been thru mud but not happy
Byronator is on a distinguished road
Default 4wd conversion endeavor

I have done a lot of looking, here mostly, on how the 4wd system works in a ranger like mine. I have a 2wd ranger which I'd like to be 4wd. I have done a lot to it so I don't want to part with my ranger and get another one just to get 4wd. I am willing to do all the work to convert it to 4wd, I know it will be hard! So here is what I want to know...
Is there anything major that would have to be done in order to put a 4wd system in other than mounting all the stuff? Looking at diagrams, to me, it looks like all the major parts will mount the same way the 2wd parts do. I want to use the dana 35 system with short arm long arm cv.
Byronator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 29781F0E77DE4B Expires: March 31, 2019
Old 01-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
don4331

Vehicle Model: Ranger
don4331 is a jewel in the roughdon4331 is a jewel in the roughdon4331 is a jewel in the roughdon4331 is a jewel in the rough

Byronator:

Does your Ranger have coil springs or torsion bars for front suspension?

If it has torsion bars, its possible to install 4wd from another Ranger of same vintage.

If it has coils - you might as well do as SAS.
don4331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
Byronator

I use this vehicle for: every day commuting and when it rains a lot or snows, I got clearance. been thru mud but not happy
Default @don4331

Ah. Yeah that'd be the best approach. But I do not want to do a SAS. I dont' have torsion bars, I have coil springs. Couldn't I add torsion bars to the frame though?
Old 01-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #4
adsm08
Supporting Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronator View Post
Ah. Yeah that'd be the best approach. But I do not want to do a SAS. I dont' have torsion bars, I have coil springs. Couldn't I add torsion bars to the frame though?
No. There are other differences in the frame.

If you do not have torsion bars, your functional options are SAS or find a 4x4 frame.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I identify as an attack helicopter.

I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

or

build a real a-arm system that functions better then the oem abortion. long arms.

or a ttb....still winning over oem sla off road....

if you want to pound on it off road, way worth it...

a solid axle make it super easy though. stupid easy. not hard.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #6
Byronator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywalter View Post
or

build a real a-arm system that functions better then the oem abortion. long arms.

or a ttb....still winning over oem sla off road....

if you want to pound on it off road, way worth it...

a solid axle make it super easy though. stupid easy. not hard.
So a TTB is better than the SLA, how so? It's a lot bulkier. And with a SAS it's just with all showing under the front. I don't like that look as much as the SLA. I would just do the SAS bc I need 4wd for functionality more than anything. I don't really want to use it for off-roading anyway. But where I live, you need 4wd. I'd be down to build an a-arm system but I don't really know how it works.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:53 PM   #7
Byronator

Also, couldn't I just weld some torsion bar mounts to my frame. Like, even if the frame I have doesn't really have a spot for oem bars. I could do in a custom location on frame and all.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:15 AM   #8
Captain Ledd

Vehicle Year: 1984, 1997
Vehicle Model: Rangers
I use this vehicle for: Literally everything.
My credo: If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Captain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to all

Even though frames may appear similar, or be from similar vehicles, they're different, and that difference means that much more work. By the time you're done adapting, drilling, cutting, modifying, or just making new from scratch, you'd be way ahead just doing a full custom install.

I opted for a frame swap on mine, though I happened to find another 1997 Ranger SC/SB with all the options I wanted and more with a dead engine. This is probably the easiest swap next to a solid axle swap, and it's still work. I specifically wanted to keep mine near factory for parts availability, I have a FSM for it, and reliability (see Ford engineers comment below)

You'll either need a 4wd trans/t-case combo that's identical to your 2wd transmission, or you'll need to take it all apart and swap the rear output shaft and tail-housing/extension-housing. Option 2, is a divorced case of older vintage, be sure you'll have room for it if you go that route, usually those are huge cases as well.

Honestly, if functional 4wd is what you're going for, SAS it.

Go for a low pinion Dana 30, yes they are weaker, but it'll give you more room due to the pinion being lower and if not beat on with big tires are plenty serviceable in a 4wd application.

Remove the large crossmembers under the engine bay that are in the way and build new ones with more clearance around the axle, be sure they're beef as it's an important structural member. A group of Ford engineers with a crap load of testing resources designed it and as much as we sometimes like to rip on them, they are still WAY smarter than the vast majority of us. You may need to "C" the frame like the low riders do if you're not trying to go for a huge lift.

No matter which way you slice it, it's a ton of work, and aside from a frame swap, is not a particularly amateur project to tackle if you want to put a bunch of miles on it.

1984 Ranger - std cab, long bed: The Deathtrap
302; T18; D20 Tcase; 6' lift; 4.56 gears; 33' pro comp MT's; Aussie locked rear
1997 Ranger - std cab, short bed: Red Ranger
2.3L; M50D R1; 2wd; 4.56 gears; Explorer 8.8; ARB locker; 235/75R15 AT's
(soon to undergo 4x4 conversion )
Captain Ledd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:01 AM   #9
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

low pinion? why?

if you just need it to get around sell it and buy a 4x4.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #10
Byronator

Default new plan?

after looking at little more at the ttb system. I wouldn't mind using it.
The dana 35 ttb I guess. Now how will this fit with my frame?

Last edited by Byronator; 01-13-2019 at 03:08 PM.