Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 12-29-2018, 10:22 PM   #1
CraftsmanQuad19

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Daily, towing, hauling, mudding
CraftsmanQuad19 is on a distinguished road
Default Haspin acres off-road park

Hey all, I wondered if anyone has heard of haspin acres in laurel Indiana. I went there last year for a big mower rally in June, and plan on going again this year. I didnít take the ranger out on the trails last year because it was new to me, I drove it there, and it was my only way home. I just didnít know how it would hold up.

This year however Iím planning on taking it out on some of the lighter trails. I have a ttb front end (Dana 35) and a 7.5 open rear end. Stick shift 3.0 with 3.73 gears. Stock suspension height running 235x75r15 (I believe) Goodyear wrangler radials.

What do you guys think? Iím not gonna go nuts, but I think I can hang on some light trails. Are there any cheap (high school budget) mods I can do to really help it out? Front hubs are on my list already. Keep in mind itís my daily so Iím not gonna lift it or solid axle swap it, and a 8.8 from an explorer is in the plan whenever my 7.5 quits
CraftsmanQuad19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 29781F0E77DE4B Expires: March 31, 2019
Old 12-29-2018, 10:43 PM   #2
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

go have fun. red bird too and attica.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:13 PM   #3
CraftsmanQuad19

Iíve heard of the badlands in Attica, went once to get a dirt bike tire, but never went into the park. I talked to a coworker about possibly going and he said itís all smaller trails for side by sides (he has a rzr1000). Anything truck sized would be crazy according to him
Old 12-30-2018, 12:25 AM   #4
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

does he drive a hummvee or kodiac or something?

i have been all over there with rangers explorers bronco 2....150's get fawked up pretty good though....
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
Old 12-30-2018, 12:51 AM   #5
CraftsmanQuad19

Sorry I didnít type clearly, he meant any obstacle that would accommodate a truck would be too difficult for my stock truck and driving skill. Iím only 18 and donít have a lot of experience wheeling, but I consider myself a pretty skilled driver (as any 18 year old guy would)

I looked into that redbird park. Looks pretty cool, Iíll make a trip there sometime.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:14 AM   #6
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

my son is 13.....he could do most of it in a stockish truck with a locker and cut fenders on 33's when he was 9....

winch...and a locker once you get an 8.8 ... finding the limits results in body damage though...

sheetmetal is overrated...
Old 12-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
CraftsmanQuad19

Iím not too worried about the bed or front clip at the moment as I plan on swapping it all for 06+ body panels. Iím keeping the doors and cab though

When the 8.8 I plan on fully building it. It will have disk brakes (because explorer), Iíll weld the axle tubes to the diff housing, brace the diff housing, selectable locker with a new 3.73 ring and pinion, new bearings and seals, plus cleaning it up and painting it. Honestly itís total overkill for what I plan on doing but I donít want to ever worry about it again
Old 12-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
Jimmyspy14

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
Jimmyspy14 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftsmanQuad19 View Post
Hey all, I wondered if anyone has heard of haspin acres in laurel Indiana. I went there last year for a big mower rally in June, and plan on going again this year. I didnít take the ranger out on the trails last year because it was new to me, I drove it there, and it was my only way home. I just didnít know how it would hold up.

This year however Iím planning on taking it out on some of the lighter trails. I have a ttb front end (Dana 35) and a 7.5 open rear end. Stick shift 3.0 with 3.73 gears. Stock suspension height running 235x75r15 (I believe) Goodyear wrangler radials.

What do you guys think? Iím not gonna go nuts, but I think I can hang on some light trails. Are there any cheap (high school budget) mods I can do to really help it out? Front hubs are on my list already. Keep in mind itís my daily so Iím not gonna lift it or solid axle swap it, and a 8.8 from an explorer is in the plan whenever my 7.5 quits

I was down there last month with my ranger and a few other vehicles. It really depends on the weather. When itís dry, you can go a lot of places. When they get a lot of rain, the clay turns into peanut butter and even the haul roads become challenging.

Donít go out by yourself, and make sure you have some way of recovering yourself (straps, shackles, winch, something).

Be cautious, they donít rate their trails so you never really know what youíre getting into. Donít be afraid to walk down a trail a bit before committing

This was from late November

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimmyspy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:34 AM   #9
CraftsmanQuad19

Looks like a fun group of vehicles! Yeah I went there last year but mowers are a little different than rangers lol

I also learned very quick that the silt pond looks safe but isnít