• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will 93 or newer slave cylinder work in my 89

hyperzone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here's the question :
will a 1993 slave cylinder bolt right in place and work fine as a replacement for my 1989 slave cylinder?

Here's the story:I'm new to this forum and the rangers in general. I've had my 1989 Ranger 2WD 5-speed manual for a little over 2 years now. This is my beater vehicle used for daily driving so I'm not all about spending gobs of money to make it perfect, just need to keep it running. Well, my clutch disengagement became a problem that bleeding wouldn't solve and then the tranny crapped out (broke some gears and locked up - I dont think the two were related). I bought a used replacement tranny for $100 and pulled the old and installed the new/used one. Everthing went in fine but, I'm still having this clutch disengagement problem. It doesn't go into any gear easily when I'm sitting still with the engine running. Although, when sitting still while engine is off, I can go through all the gears with ease. Also, once I do get it in gear (engine running) and get rolling its still a pain but, pretty normal shifting when the speed matches the gear. When I come to a stop and leave it in 1st gear while holding the clutch to the floor, the car wants to ever-so-slightly nudge onward leading me to believe the clutch is simply not totally disengaging. I bled the hell out of the system which didn't solve it. I then replaced the master clyinder and bled it a whole bunch more with no luck either. The new/used tranny had a slave on it so I did not use the old slave from the oringinal tranny. Anyway, I've been looking at photos of the slave cylinders online and I notice that 93 and newer had a redesigned slave cylinder setup where the bleeder line actaully had a nipple to hookup a hose for vacuum and that bleeder line came off the top of the slave instead of straight out the side (I guess to aid in getting air out). I'm wanting to swtich out the slave for a '93 version and need to know if there's any compatability issues. Thanks to anyone that took the time to read all this!

Here's the slave that I have now :

And here's the newer style that I'm curious about being a direct replacement :

Last edited:

hyperzone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bump!

Figured I'd add a little more to this.... My whole point in wanting to switch to the newer slave is that it seems like they made some improvements on it vs. the older one. Like the bleed-off comes out the top instead of the side-in the middle (makes more senses since air bubbles would be at the top). Plus the bleeder on the new one has a brake line bleeder type nipple so I can hook up a vacuum bleeder if I want. Any thoughts on this?

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
From what I have read in posts there are two different slaves; the ones with "gold" quick connectors, and those with black quick connectors. IIRC the black connectors are a little smaller on the inside dia. so they don't fit the latter hose properly. If your line to the master is gold it should snap on to the slave with the gold connector.

hyperzone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If they are different sizes at the slave connector I should be able to switch to the newer line with the correct fitting/connector on the slave end.... Anyone know if the end that sticks in the master is the same for all years or would that vary as well?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals