• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Emissions issues with 5.0L swap

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've been checking seriously about swapping a 5.0L into my 2002 4WD Ranger. This website tech article suggests using a 1998-2001 Explorer as a source. I just found out today that Colorado emissions mandates only newer technology in such swaps so clearly a 2001 Explorer is out.

So now where to look? Any suggestions?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Look for an older Ranger. 2001 was the absolute last year the 5.0 was in anything.

For 2002 the Explorers were available with the 4.0 SOHC and the 4.6 Triton V8. The Mustangs were onto the 4.6 by 96 or 97, and all the F-series was Triton V8s by 97 as well.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, if you’re set on a 5.0 there are two options. One is get an older ranger for the explorer 5.0....the other is to go with the coyote lmao

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I've been checking seriously about swapping a 5.0L into my 2002 4WD Ranger. This website tech article suggests using a 1998-2001 Explorer as a source. I just found out today that Colorado emissions mandates only newer technology in such swaps so clearly a 2001 Explorer is out.

staying stock in profile with mainly road use? or a little bit of lift and 33 inch tires for mostly road use??

what will be the main objective of the vehicle...

for all purpose crusier/trail runner

i would use an ecoboost 4 whizzer or a 5.3 gm. 4.8 if you want best possible economy with v8 noise...

unless you want a diesel...then duramax. or more sanely a vw or isx cummins. the titan or colorado diesels are turning up.

the 4 cylinder ecoboosts are bad ass for smaller trucks...say 3-5 inches of lift and 33's.... with a suspension lift they are not too bad to fit.

there is a guy here on the sight with a swap in a 2wd sla application that had to take quite a bit from the firewall due the the high pressure pump situation. with a 3 inch body lift it would not be as bad...combined with a mild redirect short pipe to mount the turbo and oil pan work i can see it being the best alternative to a 302. definitely better then the pos 3.0 and better power then a 4.0.

its possible to use a m50d 2.3 duratech trans converted to 4x4 to keep costs down. will make better usable power then a stock explorer v8.

5.3 is probably the easiest and cheapest way to do an emissions swap.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I'd look for states that don't do emissions testing...

Does your truck have a 3.0, or 4.0? The Explorer 5.0 isn't exactly a powerhouse. The swap requires a new trans, wiring, PCM, and dealing with PATS which is a lot of work for a minimal gain vs a 4.0 SOHC. Boosting your current engine could probably get you better performance than a 5.0 swap with less work. And would keep you legal.

Last edited:

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is a daily drive 3.0L Ranger but the 3.0L V6 is such a wimp. It will run 80 mph on the interstate but take a while to get there. I'd guess the stock 5.0L Explorer is no runner but a lot can be done to the 5.0L.

The trouble here is that Colorado emissions does a visual and electronic test to see what I have. Hence the 2001 or older 5.0L Explorer technology will not be accepted.

Is the 4.0L SOHC that much better than the 3.0L? Is it as difficult to swap as the 5.0L?

I would readily do the 4.6L V8 swap if I thought it not too difficult.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Changing engine size is pretty much the same work regardless of what you decide to go with

You need donor engine, transmission, computer and its wiring harness
Then exhaust and drive line(s)
Radiator usually

You are much better off to sell the 3.0l Ranger and buy a 4.0l SOHC Ranger, 2005 or up, less chance of timing chain issues
The 4.0l SOHC swap would cost more than price difference of selling and buying, plus way less hassle with emissions and TITLE
When you change the engine size you need to redo the title since the VIN will no longer match, VIN's 8th digit IDs engine used, and so you will end up with a Salvaged title or other type that denotes factory VIN no longer matches

The 4.0l SOHC rated 207HP, 5.0l 215HP
So not a big difference, but 5.0l had 280ft/lb torque, 4.0l SOHC only 238

Another option is to look for an already completed V8 swap Ranger, already smogged in your state, sell the 3.0l Ranger

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I'd look for states that don't do emissions testing...

Does your truck have a 3.0, or 4.0? The Explorer 5.0 isn't exactly a powerhouse. .
I have driven a 04 4.0 sohc and own a 5.0 98 ranger. I have headers on mine and a weak fuel pump. It still has way more pep than the 4.0 I drove. Once I get the fuel pump fixed and custom tune my pcm to remove the factory crap tune more tires will be needed for burnouts.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I like my 2002 Ranger. This was Dad's truck and I'm not willing to dump it. I've had the interior redone, the dents removed and repainted, replaced the bent rear bumper, and upgraded to Mustang rear disc brakes. Larger 2004 Ranger front discs are next on my list that I can handle.

Now I need a plan for a real power upgrade. Too bad Ford quit using the 5.0L V-8 in 2001. 5.0L's were widely modified for Mustangs and I would think these could easily push out 280 hp without radical modifications.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well I like my 2002 Ranger. This was Dad's truck and I'm not willing to dump it. I've had the interior redone, the dents removed and repainted, replaced the bent rear bumper, and upgraded to Mustang rear disc brakes. Larger 2004 Ranger front discs are next on my list that I can handle.

Now I need a plan for a real power upgrade. Too bad Ford quit using the 5.0L V-8 in 2001. 5.0L's were widely modified for Mustangs and I would think these could easily push out 280 hp without radical modifications.
Honestly I'd look at an LS swap. They are engines that are still in production so you can use a year that works for you, plus it is at least as easy a fit as the 5.0, and more bang for your buck power-wise. They make better power out of the box, let alone once you start building.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not real common but mod motors have been done too.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

i have a truck like that....and its been repowered many times over the decades as needs have changed, with needsand total operational and swap costs dictating engine/power-train choice...not fanboi logic... i am a ford fan...but without deep pockets i look for best deal.

compromise of max performance was severe, but overall it kept me on the road. with the ability to run alternative blends when fuel prices were at a good peak it was affordable to operate as i drive high miles annually.

so...
coyote, hemi, or ls based 5.3 gm if you want v8 noise....toyota v8 and nissans are decent too.

the 4.6 or 5.4 ford would be pretty cheap...but compared to the current 5.0 they are garbage. thus they are cheap.

the modern ford v6 3.5/3.7 cyclones are bad ass. not as easy to install as a 5.3 overall but nice engines and awesome power for the weight. i would take a 3.7 over a 4.6 every time.

if your hard core for a ford v8, the modern f150 5.0 and a 6r80 are the obvious choice.

generally...i would go 5.3 gm myself for overall best value in your situation.

of course best value goes with shopping and where you actually live......you never know what your going to find until your looking.

the 4 cyl ecoboost is on my radar for my b2. cost effective...good power with just tuning...will totally embarrass a 302. for conventional swapping its still a pia...but will be worth it.

in a regular ranger it is a solid choice.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Honestly I'd look at an LS swap. They are engines that are still in production so you can use a year that works for you, plus it is at least as easy a fit as the 5.0, and more bang for your buck power-wise. They make better power out of the box, let alone once you start building.
truth.

it is everything i would do to make my perfect sbf....except those bastards at gm did it.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
the 4 cyl ecoboost is on my radar for my b2. cost effective...good power with just tuning...will totally embarrass a 302. for conventional swapping its still a pia...but will be worth it.

in a regular ranger it is a solid choice.
I have this in mind for the Mustang once I get back to working and have some money to play with.

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
The emissions must expire at some point! Here is MA it's 15 years. I have a 2003 that I am building and won't have to worry about emissions because it is older than 15 years. Emissions parts (such as the cats) have a life expectancy. Check to see if your state has a cut-off for emissions testing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals