• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coverlay Dash Pad 12-112

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Anyone ever use one of these for the first gen dash pads? Finally got mine torn down. Was going to do the filler work, but the SOB is so dry rotted, there's no covering it with new vinyl without risking it blowing up again in a year or two.

Also. Last guy filled a few holes with plaster (maybe baking flour? Cartel-issued white powder? Don't know what it is.) and brush painted it with Rust-o.

Paint seems to have weakened what was left. End result is remaining pieces shatter when you touch it.

Looked at the coverlay replacement pads, but can't find reviews.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Anyone ever use one of these for the first gen dash pads? Finally got mine torn down. Was going to do the filler work, but the SOB is so dry rotted, there's no covering it with new vinyl without risking it blowing up again in a year or two.

Also. Last guy filled a few holes with plaster (maybe baking flour? Cartel-issued white powder? Don't know what it is.) and brush painted it with Rust-o.

Paint seems to have weakened what was left. End result is remaining pieces shatter when you touch it.

Looked at the coverlay replacement pads, but can't find reviews.

Said powder.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I bought a 1st gen about a year ago and whatever dash cover the previous owner used had to be fastened on using silicone. It's a somewhat rigid, flexible plastic, although it is pretty thin. I don't know what brand it is but I can't stand how it looks and feels, and it's trying to peel up as well.

I was thinking of sending my dash off to have a professional shop strip it down completely and make a new pad using a vacuum forming process, much like how the factory dash covers would have been produced. At one time I had located a shop online that does it this way, but I've since lost track of the business.

Following for future reference..

GB :)

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I bought a 1st gen about a year ago and whatever dash cover the previous owner used had to be fastened on using silicone. It's a somewhat rigid, flexible plastic, although it is pretty thin. I don't know what brand it is but I can't stand how it looks and feels, and it's trying to peel up as well.

I was thinking of sending my dash off to have a professional shop strip it down completely and make a new pad using a vacuum forming process, much like how the factory dash covers would have been produced. At one time I had located a shop online that does it this way, but I've since lost track of the business.

sounds pricey $$$:sad:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
sounds pricey $$$:sad:
True, but some things are better left to the professionals if you want them done right. Money well spent.

Spend once, cry once, as they say...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sounds like the LMC glue in cover. Works okish, I see mine is cracking on the top where it goes from the vents to the cluster on the drivers side.

You have to do it just right so it can expand and contract at its own rate... which I am not really sure is possible to do.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Whatever it is, it's a real piece of crap. Not worth wasting hard earned money on in my opinion. I plan to remove it and buy a dashboard filler restoration kit, or having a company redo the dash for me. We'll see..

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Whatever it is, it's a real piece of crap. Not worth wasting hard earned money on in my opinion. I plan to remove it and buy a dashboard filler restoration kit, or having a company redo the dash for me. We'll see..

But wait... when the old dash cracks it peels up. So the instructions say to trim back the curled up parts which makes the actual openings/cracks much larger. :icon_thumby:

I remember thinking "I sure how this works" because right before I put the cover on my dash looked a lot more hideous than it did before I started out.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Cool video. He did a nice job. Technically body work on a dash. Only reason I would do that is if it was a rare or hard to replace. Ranger dashes are out there enough that you could just replace it with a nicer one.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Not for my 87 model. I've been searching out Rangers and Ranger parts since owning my 86 model over 25 years ago. I've found several dozen 1st gens in salvage yards and not a single one of them has a usable dashboard.

I own a few 1st gens and several 2nd gens, both Ranger's and Bronco II's, and the 2nd gen dashes do hold up a lot better over time, and while I could certainly swap my 1st gen to the 2nd gen dash, I hate the look of the 2nd gen dash.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Appreciate the feedback so far. I'd replace mine with a better one, but I'm working on a black interior. Most of the junkyard ones I'm seeing are in the similar sad shape mine is.

Thought about doing the repair work to mine and covering it in 2mm foam and vinyldue to mine being so badly damaged. The only reason for the foam would be to avoid future cracks from showing through the stretch vinyl. The original is so badly damaged by a chemical reaction with the Rust-O the last owner used on it, it cracks when you handle it. Also considered using mine as a mold and fiberglassing a new one.

Still. Was hoping a "good" less labor intense option was out there.

And yes, I think the LMC one is the Coverlay. DSC_2050.jpeg

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
From the looks of yours, you'd be better off finding another one in a junkyard that's in quite a bit better shape, and then fix it to your liking.

On my 87, I'm wanting perfection, and I want it to look exactly like OEM.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
+1

Cracked but intact ones are all over in JY's.

I have yet to come across a good solid tan on though.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
So, at this point it's seeming that the replacements are probably crap across the board.

Mine is an old, brittle piece of plastic with no flex or give. Why waste "good" materials on it that probably have more flex and give to them then remains of my pad? Going to try something really, really dumb and irresponsible. Or, if it works, freaking genius.

Have some JB Stick left, and "Avant Garde" brand name body filler ($9.95/gallon, with a tube of hardener included lmao), as well as a yard or so of four way stretch matte vinyl and half a can of loctite 300 spray adhesive. Why not try a cheap assed way to fix it instead of just tossing it?

From what I can tell, the fancy assed fillers, cleaners, etc are going to be around the same price as finding and repairing a "good" one the "right" way, so, nothing to lose.

I mean, yinz saw the look on my cat's face. She knows it's crap. We all know it's crap.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals