• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 Ford Ranger STX Restoration

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
I bought my 1991 Ford Ranger STX back in 2013. I have wheeled, driven and worked this truck and now after buying a new daily, it is time to give this truck a full restoration like I had always intended.

Over the past several years I have obtained several parts that the truck wasn't optioned with from the factory. The roll bar, tubular rear bumper, and the Bosch Profi 210 offroad lights just to name a few.

I started this project out by first taking it to a graphic shop to have the decals remade. Once this was done I sent it to a highly recomnended body shop to have it repainted. Little did I know, the guy would leave me with my truck having an oversprayed interior, frame and windows. As well as lots of unfinished bodywork and orange peal. That being said I am waiting until I have my truck budget built up enough to have the paint redone correctly so that I can have the decals put back on.

My ultimate goal is to swap the 2.9 for a supercharged bullitproofed 4.0 engine.
As well as swap in a 5 speed trans and a manual transfer case. Other things like a 2" Skyjacker lift and lots of other goodies will be going into it as well. I will keep you guys updated on the progress. If anyone needs any tips on finding some of the hard to find parts just let me know!

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice looking truck :icon_thumby:

Gotta ask, what is the secret on snagging tube bumpers and factory lightbars?

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
I found the roll bar by chance on craigslist. The bumper I found on a guys truck in a goodwill parking lot and traded him even on the spot (glad I had tools with me) and the offroad light can still be found on eBay brand new. They are Bosch Profi 210 offroad ligts. I found NOS Ford covers as well as the Bosch ones for them on eBay.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Nice looking truck :icon_thumby:

Gotta ask, what is the secret on snagging tube bumpers and factory lightbars?
Ran into mine by complete accident. Purchased the front and rear. $75 for the set.

You can hate me now, it's ok.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I snagged my Smittybilt lightbar on craigslist for $20 10 years ago. Somewhat passivly looking for STX lightbar, tube bumpers and grilleguard. There isn't much out there in the wild.

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Ran into mine by complete accident. Purchased the front and rear. $75 for both.

You can hate me now, it's ok.

Nice find. The cool thing about mine is they are actually the factory optioned parts for the STX trim package. It was called the "Rally Bar Package" which included the roll bar and tubular rear bumper (black or silver) and offroad lights. There are a lot of aftermarket parts out there so I thought it was super cool to find all OEM parts.

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
I snagged my Smittybilt lightbar on craigslist for $20 10 years ago. Somewhat passivly looking for STX lightbar, tube bumpers and grilleguard. There isn't much out there in the wild.
Just keep on looking man. It took me over 4 years to find those few parts. I would love to find an OEM grille/brush guard. I actually have some really good close up photos of one and thought about having a shop see if they could replicate one for me but haven't done it yet. I can get you the photos if you want.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Nice find. The cool thing about mine is they are actually the factory optioned parts for the STX trim package. It was called the "Rally Bar Package" which included the roll bar and tubular rear bumper (black or silver) and offroad lights. There are a lot of aftermarket parts out there so I thought it was super cool to find all OEM parts.

Hm. Both of my bumpers are smittybilt. Pulled them off of a BII in a bone yard. Did they come factory on BII?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Yeah, I would like to snag the factory stuff just because it is factory. Especially the bumpers (first gens had tube bumpers both and rear)

Just keep on looking man. It took me over 4 years to find those few parts. I would love to find an OEM grille/brush guard. I actually have some really good close up photos of one and thought about having a shop see if they could replicate one for me but haven't done it yet. I can get you the photos if you want.

18.5 years and I have yet to even see them in real life let alone for sale.

Yours is a different generation than mine. If you want there is a STX thread you could post them in that may help others though.

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73

Hm. Both of my bumpers are smittybilt. Pulled them off of a BII in a bone yard. Did they come factory on BII?

Unless someone stuck stickers on the factory stuff it isn't factory.

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15

Some Bronco II trucks came optioned with the tubular rear bumper as well as a grille/brush guard. The were most common on Bronco II XLS models from 1989-1990.

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Yeah, I would like to snag the factory stuff just because it is factory. Especially the bumpers (first gens had tube bumpers both and rear)

18.5 years and I have yet to even see them in real life let alone for sale.

Yours is a different generation than mine. If you want there is a STX thread you could post them in that may help others though.

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73

Unless someone stuck stickers on the factory stuff it isn't factory.
I would like to have a shop see if they can remake those parts such as the rollbar, rear bumper, brush guard, etc. I already have the graphics degsined. So maybe I can help others out by making some blueprint/layouts for download for some folks that may wanna have a shop fab some up for them.

Here are those pics of the brush guard I mentioned. It was on a 1990 Bronco II XLS that I test drove a while back. It is still for sale. Maybe I should ask the guy if he will sell the bumper! lol

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Wow very nice truck!

Are you going to get some factory STX decals for it as well? I am jealous of your roll/light bar. I need one for my truck.

If you can find a '92 Explorer with a 4.0 it'll be a bolt in and plug and play swap.

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Wow very nice truck!

Are you going to get some factory STX decals for it as well? I am jealous of your roll/light bar. I need one for my truck.

If you can find a '92 Explorer with a 4.0 it'll be a bolt in and plug and play swap.
Thanks! I do plan to do factory graphics. However they are no longer made anymore so before I had it repainted I took it to an auto viynal shop to have them remade. Like I said previously I would really like to get a shop to make some layouts for the rear bumper and rollbar as well as a brush guard so that folks who want one can have a custom built replica made.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Thanks! I do plan to do factory graphics. However they are no longer made anymore so before I had it repainted I took it to an auto viynal shop to have them remade. Like I said previously I would really like to get a shop to make some layouts for the rear bumper and rollbar as well as a brush guard so that folks who want one can have a custom built replica made.

You can most likely find some NOS ones on https://www.rearcounter.com/ if you can find the part number for your exact stripes.

Here's the stripes I was able to get. Part number E9TZ-1020000-DD

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Nice find! However the graphics have already been made and are just waiting to be put on. The guy that did my paintjob screwed it up real bad and it needs to be redone so I have to wait to have them put on. Here is a photo of them. It does them no justice as the image is to big to upload here so I had to screenshot them

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals