• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help on 97 ranger v8 swap with carbureted fuel system

Axldavis2012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda/ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello I have a 97 ranger with 2.3l and the trans is a 83 mustang t5 v8 borge n warner both are manuals. I have got it all tied together with the local mechanic doing it very trustworthy n honest he quoted me $2200 n I got I was wondering what will have to be programmed out of the ecm or pcm once we are finished with the conversion. He said he doesn't have the device to do it himself . I know the speedometer will have to be recalibrated and we pulled all gauges and installed new cluster (oil voltage and temp) and fuel gauge and tachometer gauge and leaving factory speedometer/tachometer. He installed it under the regular gauges location on dash. I don't have emission regulations in my state n my uncle did his that was carbureted to carbureted n he lived in Maryland that had emissions n he got less emissions than he had before. The mechanic does do inspections n said that a lot of the computer will need to be deactivated. Such as the catylitic inverters and everything with motor and trans. My question is what other stuff will the ecm or the pcm control such as abs but what else and what will be deactivated. Also what will need to be reprogrammed to the new system gauges to read correctly. And is their a gauge or sensor warning I can get that has the warning lights only. If not I don't mind leaving my obd2 code reader that ties to the phone hooked up. Cause it does tell me the codes so I would know if and issue arose that way I do check the vehicles every 5 to 7 days for any issues like vehicle inspections levels n what nots. Another question is is their away to control the other leftover stuff on pcm or the ecm whichever i have to run them independently. I was wanting to try to get old rebuilt trans n motor 2.3l n sell it off with the computer together

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i have problems getting my point across in print...and person for that matter.

you may want to go back and edit your post to break that big block down into coherent points.

apparently you have an electric speedo, which with this system is retain-able...but why not go all the way?

with a carb application and an old school t5 its pretty simple.

go get an earlier all mechanical application from a 93 or so ranger instrument cluster and speedo cable and use that if you want it all captain cave pig..

use all the factory senders and keep all the factory gauges. the tach needs adapted...with those units it can go a few different ways.

the sub systems are still actually sub systems like cruise control...abs and air bags...theyy are seperate still in these systems so its pretty easy to deal with compared to the modern can-bus systems. things such as reverse lights and neutral sensing clutch position real easy to deal with.

your mechanic should know this just from a cursory visual though. thats a bit disconcerting..

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You are aware that the word "and" had three letters, correct?

Franken5liter

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31”
i have problems getting my point across in print...and person for that matter.

you may want to go back and edit your post to break that big block down into coherent points.

apparently you have an electric speedo, which with this system is retain-able...but why not go all the way?

with a carb application and an old school t5 its pretty simple.

go get an earlier all mechanical application from a 93 or so ranger instrument cluster and speedo cable and use that if you want it all captain cave pig..

use all the factory senders and keep all the factory gauges. the tach needs adapted...with those units it can go a few different ways.

the sub systems are still actually sub systems like cruise control...abs and air bags...theyy are seperate still in these systems so its pretty easy to deal with compared to the modern can-bus systems. things such as reverse lights and neutral sensing clutch position real easy to deal with.

your mechanic should know this just from a cursory visual though. thats a bit disconcerting..
You're a better man than I... I was unable to follow the stream of consciousness after the first 5 or 6 run-on sentences. However seeing a fairly detailed yet concise response on your behalf is why this forum is such a gem! Kudos Bobby!
Btw did the OP want feedback on what he paid as well? $2200 seems fair from what I was able to glean from the intro.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals