• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need some opinions...98 V8?, or...?

stillwater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 Ranger XLT
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I recieved a 98 2wd shortbed Ranger a few months ago in a trade.
Please forgive me if I've asked before, as I had a stroke sometime ago and don't always remember what I've already asked. I've been to several forums, most say to come here. :icon_idea:

Anyway, as I read through here I get the impression my 98 isn't as swap-savvy as the earlier trucks. I also got that impression from my friend (without him saying as much...)

Where I live, there are no emissions requirements to comply to. By doing my research, looks like the easiest/cost effective swap will be a 302 (a 289 would do too). And I'd run a mild cam, headers, 4bbl carb, etc. And an 8.8 rear end swap also in the future. Better brakes too- brake swaps? is there info for that here too?

My truck sits much higher in front than the back, has 2.5 auto in it. No lift contraptions, old owner was convinced maybe there had been F100 spring swapped under the front...when I V8 it, I may need extra lift but I don't think I need that much.

I guess my concern is- should I use this truck to swap in a V8, or would it be far easier to use one of the older ones? It isn't in real bad shape, just lots of miles.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
this is a depends answer.

Anyway, as I read through here I get the impression my 98 isn't as swap-savvy as the earlier trucks. I also got that impression from my friend (without him saying as much...)

Where I live, there are no emissions requirements to comply to. By doing my research, looks like the easiest/cost effective swap will be a 302 (a 289 would do too). And I'd run a mild cam, headers, 4bbl carb, etc. And an 8.8 rear end swap also in the future. Better brakes too- brake swaps? is there info for that here too?

My truck sits much higher in front than the back, has 2.5 auto in it. No lift contraptions, old owner was convinced maybe there had been F100 spring swapped under the front...when I V8 it, I may need extra lift but I don't think I need that much.

I guess my concern is- should I use this truck to swap in a V8, or would it be far easier to use one of the older ones? It isn't in real bad shape, just lots of miles.

easy and or cost effective. that needs power goals to have definition.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Actuall the 98+ trucks seem to be the easiest. Only problem is there is only two types of aftermarket headers that fit these trucks. That's not a problem if its just a daily driver, use the explore/mountaineer cast manifolds . They are a lot better than the early ones

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
or just mod the steering shaft and run whatever header you want.

ls engine is generally the most cost effective for power.

stillwater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 Ranger XLT
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Quote bobbywalter- or just mod the steering shaft and run whatever header you want.

How is this done? I have an old S10 swap manual, perhaps I should look at it some...

Quote-Junglejoe Actuall the 98+ trucks seem to be the easiest. Only problem is there is only two types of aftermarket headers that fit these trucks.

Which two brands or types? I definitely want headers.

stillwater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 Ranger XLT
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Another concern is the heater motor box (I think..) needs heated and bent in?

Forgot to add that I'm going to use a C4 trans too. And keep my AC.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
well. the header issue is caused by the gt40 p head. theres a shit load of headers and manifolds that can be used with normal heads... or custom boots and shorty plugs.

if you have a good ol 289 that is not an issue.

you can junkyard or big bux buy from borgenson..... steering joint and shafts and put a hiem or pillar block out by the shock mount to redirect the steering.

30-50 dollars worth of jy and order parts or 600 dollar headers that dont make it easier to work on..

up to the owner.

1st time is always harder. 1st time for me was in the 1980's so these are more lego to me then anything.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
heater box should clear 5.0....and minor mods for 5.3 gm.

for 300 plus hp running take out swap, my first choice would be a 5.3 or 6.0.

if you want a ford, the 302 is golden...but not for 300 hp without work and money.

for a 2wd play toy the 302 with a duraspark or flamethrower/dui setup with a 600 cfm carb seems ideal.

but i can get more power cheaper via the 5.3 with efi. of course they are aging out for the earlier styles for low miles and cheap/easy to work with now like the 5.0. but the newer units can make big power too.

i use most effective package for my current need/goal. and there is always compromise. i would prefer to have a ford but they do not make what i need so i used what fit best. at least i can use a 4l80.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals