• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Charlotte Showing

Delford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
The Charlotte Auto Show wasn't giving test drives and the one they had was behind a circular barricade. I wish I'd been in Seattle. I could test drive it and see my uncle and cousins. It is going to be a challenge for it to catch up to Canyon/Colorado. I think the 2.3T will be better than the 3.5 but without driving it I'm withholding further speculation.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Better than the na 3.5 ? OK.

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Always question authority
When you say the 2.3 Ecoboost would be better than the GM 3.5 N/A V6; by what measure are you comparing the two engines? I believe many people would rather have the NA V6 in the Ranger than a turbo-4. I know I would. They provide more consistent overall mpg between loaded and unloaded, depending on the weight that is behind it. In my opinion, the V^ would also be more reliable over the long term than the smaller turbocharged 4 cylinder. There is something to be said for having a larger engine that doesn't need to work as hard than having a smaller engine that is constantly under mechanical stress. The smaller engine may theoretically get better fuel economy but if it's constantly being stressed to its mechanical limits then fuel economy will undoubtedly suffer. As will the long term durability of the engine itself.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When you say the 2.3 Ecoboost would be better than the GM 3.5 N/A V6; by what measure are you comparing the two engines? I believe many people would rather have the NA V6 in the Ranger than a turbo-4. I know I would. They provide more consistent overall mpg between loaded and unloaded, depending on the weight that is behind it. In my opinion, the V^ would also be more reliable over the long term than the smaller turbocharged 4 cylinder. There is something to be said for having a larger engine that doesn't need to work as hard than having a smaller engine that is constantly under mechanical stress. The smaller engine may theoretically get better fuel economy but if it's constantly being stressed to its mechanical limits then fuel economy will undoubtedly suffer. As will the long term durability of the engine itself.
Hard to say for durability.

I do not care for a peaky high winding car engine. The competitive V6's are like the old Ranger's 3.0. They really have no business in a truck but they are to lazy to develop a truck engine.

If you need 270hp you are going to feed 270hp, no way around it. Nice thing about a smaller boosted engine is if you don't need it you don't feed it. I would rather the mpg swung from 25 to 15 than from 17 to 15.

For servicing I like that it is a 4cyl. And while not necessarily a fact a 2.3 4cyl has the potential for larger more robust parts than say a 2.7 6cyl. Bigger rods, bigger pistons, bigger valves, bigger bearings... each hole is displacing more and thus needs more.

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I said this in a different thread but, If your motor is the heart of your car, wouldn't you want a big healthy heart (V6/V8) that doesn't have to work hard to get you going, over a smaller heart with a pacemaker (I4w/turbo) to do the same jobs. Give me the BIG heart please.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I said this in a different thread but, If your motor is the heart of your car, wouldn't you want a big healthy heart (V6/V8) that doesn't have to work hard to get you going, over a smaller heart with a pacemaker (I4w/turbo) to do the same jobs. Give me the BIG heart please.
There is no big heart worth fussing for on the table though.

Looking at what the 3.5EB can do (and has done since 2011) I don't see what would be so taxing about about a 2.3EB in a midsize.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
There is no big heart worth fussing for on the table though.

Looking at what the 3.5EB can do (and has done since 2011) I don't see what would be so taxing about about a 2.3EB in a midsize.
What is so taxing (IMO) is that the little bitty motor has to work harder to make HP in a midsize, than a small v6.

I think Ford has outdone itself with this little turbo 2.3. It apparently is a strong engine and reliable. OK. SO what. Not everybody wants a little bitty motor working twice as hard as a bigger engine with more cylinders. They put the EB2.3 in everything. Talk about cannibalism. Why do they even bother building other motors, if this one can do everything a V8 can do.
270 hp is 270 hp right? wrong. A four cylinder( with turbos) at 270 hp is working harder than a v6 with 270 hp, and that engine works harder that a V8 @ 270 hp. That is just common since.
:popcorn: Now yall hit me with all the knowledge that make that statement wrong:popcorn:

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What is so taxing (IMO) is that the little bitty motor has to work harder to make HP in a midsize, than a small v6.
How do you know they are working harder? Do they sweat more?

I think Ford has outdone itself with this little turbo 2.3. It apparently is a strong engine and reliable. OK. SO what. Not everybody wants a little bitty motor working twice as hard as a bigger engine with more cylinders. They put the EB2.3 in everything. Talk about cannibalism. Why do they even bother building other motors, if this one can do everything a V8 can do.
270 hp is 270 hp right? wrong. A four cylinder( with turbos) at 270 hp is working harder than a v6 with 270 hp, and that engine works harder that a V8 @ 270 hp. That is just common since.
:popcorn: Now yall hit me with all the knowledge that make that statement wrong:popcorn:
Time marches on and all that. Fours have been matching sixes and sixes matching 8's as technology advances for decades. The infamous flathead V8 had less power than my 115hp 2.8 V6.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
:popcorn:

These are my favorite threads. Get 'em 85_Ranger4x4

Last edited:

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Yes they do sweat more. Turbos put off more heat than a N/A i4.i.e. intercooler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.

WRONG. The ecoboost engines make their peak numbers at low rpm (2500rpm for my 3.5TT). N/A engines work at a much higher RPM to make their peak numbers.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
WRONG. The ecoboost engines make their peak numbers at low rpm (2500rpm for my 3.5TT). N/A engines work at a much higher RPM to make their peak numbers.
Way to enter the conversation about 4 cylinders with a v6:icon_thumby:. which , to me, makes my point.
the V6 turbo still doesn't work as hard as a I4 turbo
anybody got the HP#'s for the I4 EB at 2500 rpm?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
WTF? The V6 Eco is used in the F150 as the most powerful engine option and it provides a board flat torque curve from about 2000 RPM on up. He introduced it as a comparison to the N/A V8's that are also offered in the F150. You missed the point completely.

If a normally aspirated 6 were introduced in the Ranger, you'd be looking at much less area under the torque curve. That's the point of the new, smaller DI turbo engines that are taking over the market. With modern turbo design and direct injection paired, we can have the available power required for heavy towing (and at a much larger RPM range), but still get 4 cylinder fuel economy when that power isn't on tap.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes they do sweat more. Turbos put off more heat than a N/A i4.i.e. intercooler
That isn't really how intercoolers work. When supercharged air is compressed it makes heat, intercoolers cool the intake air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercooler

Way to enter the conversation about 4 cylinders with a v6:icon_thumby:. which , to me, makes my point.
the V6 turbo still doesn't work as hard as a I4 turbo
anybody got the HP#'s for the I4 EB at 2500 rpm?

And that is the Mustang version which isn't tuned to be in a truck, note torque right off idle and it never really goes away.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
I just like ruffling ya'lls feathers really. I couldn't care less. I personally don't care for the extra maintenance of a turbo. I know they are better today than they were a decade ago. I still don't want one. I know that if they put all this technology into a single engine, they have to promote the Fawk out of it and make it seem like the best thing since Kraft singles, but my 12 year old Corolla gets the same or better mpg than a ecoboost anything. I know, I know, but it does not have 200+ HP. But if you are getting the power band into 200Hp you AINT getting 20+ mpg. and that bitch is getting HOT. I don't care what you say more heat is coming off that turbo motor than a N/A motor.
EDIT: those squiggly lines in a box look cool btw,

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals