• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bringing back the manger!

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
So several years ago this was a 96 Mazda b4000 that a member named legoms13 built. It was rolled and he did a cab swap to a 2000 ranger, then sold about a year and a half ago. They guy that picked it up thrashed on it and put a new motor in it. When I saw it come up for sale, I had to jump on it.

Here is the old build three where it all started. Hope he doesn't mind me posting his build.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75235&share_tid=75235&share_fid=28487&share_type=t

I got it about a week ago, as it sits now it's got about 1000 miles on a rebuilt motor and heads, cut down f150 dana 44 with chromo axles and 4.88 gears aussie locker. Rear is an expo 31 spline disc brake axle with a power trax locker and 5x5.5 axle shafts. It's on 35s and the body is pretty beat. Tub bumper with a winch, has rock lights and light bare that will be rewired as well.

My plan for it is to make a nice driver and camping rig out of it. I just sold my 92 explorer on 1 ton axles, atlas t case and 40s, and I want something that I can cruise around, play on some trails or camp comfortably in.

As it sits now it needs some love on the front end. The heim steering needs to be redone, the track bar heims are worn out, needs wheel bearings, ball joints, and a good scrub down.

I plan on doing some trick storage in the cab and bed to hold camping gear, wire up a nice sound system, and run dual batteries and upgraded alternator, build a rear tire holder on the tube bumper with jerry can rack, install inboard air and tank, clean up some body damage, and use it as much as possible. In the future I may install selectable lockers front and rear as well as a doubler.

Onto the pics. I know that's why you clicked on my build thread :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GJ123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Awesome to see this make a comeback! I'll be following this one for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Thanks man. I have had several rangers and an explorer in the past, lowered and lifted, but this is by far the best fit. I plan on keeping it for a long time and doing some awesome stuff to it.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
fawe-some

best to you. team america.....fuch yeah!

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Nothing major happening right now, I just picked up an amp and sub box for an old 12 inch sub i have laying around, cb radio and 4 foot antenna with bed stake pocket mount, amplified PA speaker to cheer my friends on when they do stupid shit, tranny cooler, ordered a complete seal kit for the tranny since it leaked like crazy when it gets hot, and a winch accessory kit with snatch blocks and a tree saver.

Hopefully this weekend I'll be doing tranny seals if I can get off work, and I need to have a shop fix the lower panhard bar mount. Got all new heims for the panhard bar, and a new axle mount for a fab shop to weld on. The plan is to run the rubicon in 3 weeks.

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Here is a picture of the pile of goodies waiting to be installed. Still waiting on the driver side mirror to show up.

The truck is at my local fab shop right now getting the panhard bar fixed and beefed, plus new heims. Should be done today then I might start throwing all this stuff in the ranger.

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Panhard bar is fixed. Drives down the road so much better now. I think my rear main seal is leaking on the engine so me and a buddy are hopefully pulling the tranny this weekend to put several new seals in and check some stuff out. I'm also hoping to get some of the accessories wired up while I have it apart. Rubicon trip is coming up soon!

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Pulled the tranny to fix a rear main seal and tranny pump seal, found my flex plate literally in 2 pieces. So I am having the tranny upgraded and freshened up. New parts are ordered and hopefully I will have it put back together next weekend. As well as finish installing my pile of new stuff.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Got the ranger put back together today. Everything went pretty smooth. Also slapped in the huge tranny cooler and 2 inch wheel spacers. I really dont like the idea of using wheel spacers, but even with the 3.75 back spaced wheel the truck has a tippy stance. We shall see what I end up doing with it. Truck drives great, way better response and it drank a lot less fuel driving around today. Also tightened a few things up while I had it in the air. This week I need to prep the truck for the rubicon trip, and change fluids in the axles and engine.

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
In the last few days I got the CB radio installed, fluids changed, started wiring up power to the back of the cab for a sub, and a power inverter. Bolt check tomorrow, and then pack up for wheeling. No new pics yet. I'll try to get some soon. Also figured out the wiring for the rock lights and light bar up front so those now work again.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Yep! Bringing it back from the grave! It has been beat on and neglected for the last year and a half. Hoping to make it into a nice driver again!

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Been slow to get things done, but I wired in more rock lights, actually they are single row 6 inch led bars one at each corner then a few small waterproof led strips under the front end. If I flip the truck at night, you will see me from outer space. Got this cool switch panel with everything pre wired to relays in a box. Just have to put power to the main harness, ground it and I'm going to wire up the acc. Wire to a switch so I can leave the switch panel on with the key off. Hoping to get that installed tonight so i can test it out tomorrow on a nice day trip in the mountains.

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Got my switch panel wired in and threw the switches next to the cb radio. I covered the unused switches in electrical tape, cause the lights without the decals are really bright. Have the panel wired up to a switch that I can turn off and on instead of wiring to the acc. Now i can turn the switch panel on even with the key off.

Rock lights work pretty well. Need 1 or 2 more under the center of the truck and under the bed towards the rear, but its plenty for now and adding a few will be easy later on.

Taking the truck up into the mountains tomorrow to unwind and get lost in the woods for a day. And then back to the grind.

Also I didn't have much room in the engine bay for the big relay box so I stuffed it in where the driver air bag sensor was behind the grill. Having a huge steel bumper and a plated and boxed frame means it probably wont work right anyways, plus I worry about them going off when we are wheeling, so i pulled the fuse on the sensors, and moved them out of the way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals