• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 1997 Ranger 3.0 4x4

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
Hey everyone! This is my 1997 Ranger XL with the 3.0, 5 speed manual and 4wd, and a 7' bed. This truck is my daily driver, so this isn't going to be so much of a build thread per se, but I will be doing some light modifications and thought it might be cool to document my process!

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG

These pictures are from when I just got the truck back in July. I bought this truck for a decent price locally, it only had 108k miles on it and was very clean for a truck from the northeast. When I first got this truck, it really needed some attention. It ran and drove well and everything worked, but I had a coolant leak and an oil leak, and it was going to need a clutch soon. I also ended up finding I had a leaky fuel injector and over time the truck was getting harder and harder to start. It also needed some cosmetic love; it needed new fog lights as they were busted out, and I didn't like the gray/silver color on the bumpers plus the paint was peeling as you can see in this picture. I had a rack and toolbox on it (both of which I got for free) for a while as well.

Here's all the work I've done to it so far:
New clutch (spec stage 2)
New fuel pump & filter
New fuel injectors
Oil pan gasket & rear main seal
Timing cover & water pump gasket
New radiator & hoses
New fan & fan clutch
Basic maintenance (fluids, serpentine belt, etc...)
Add-a-leaf's installed, factory lift blocks removed and replaced with 1" blocks (to retain factory height but stiffen the springs)

Once I had the truck sorted out with no leaks and starting reliably again, I wanted to undercoat it since rust on these trucks around here is such a problem. I plan on keeping this truck around for as long as possible so this should help a lot. Here are some pictures from before the undercoating:

photo 5.JPG
photo 6.JPG

As I said, it was pretty clean for a Ranger for the northeast. The only rot was what you could see in the picture, the rear of the frame towards the bumper. The rest was just surface rust really. After some prepwork, I laid down 2 coats each of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator and Extreme Chassis Black to just about everywhere I could reach.

photo 7.JPG
photo 8.JPG
photo 9.JPG

I also sprayed the bumpers, grille and fender flares and wheels black during the process and did an 01-05 tail light conversion. I found a 7' bed liner and a better matching toolbox locally as well, and added a side exit skunk muffler that I also got for free from a parts truck with a snapped frame that my brother bought lol. It actually sounds pretty good for a 3.0. This is how it sits/looks currently.

photo 10.JPG

Some of my future plans include a front leveling kit, slightly larger tires (maybe 235/75 instead of 215/75), either an explorer rear end swap or an 8.8 L/S ranger rear end swap & mustang disc brakes as well... there's probably more I'm forgetting right now. Anyway, I'll keep this updated as I continue working on/modifying this truck :icon_thumby:

Current mods as of July 2022:

photo 27.JPG

Suspension/Axles:
-8.8 31 spline L/S axle with 4.88 gears, D35 front
-Chevy 64" leaf springs with extended shackles
-Skyjacker 4" lift with extended radius arms
-All suspension bushings replaced with polyurethane bushings
-Bilstein front and rear shocks

Cosmetic:
-Chassis cleaned up and painted with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator & Chassis Black, bumpers & flares painted black
-American Racing AR23's 15x8 -19 offset w/ 33x12.50 tires
-06+ mirrors
-Clear front marker/turn signal lights
-01-05 tail light conversion

Misc:
-Spec "Stage 2" Clutch
-Electric fan from 3.8 Thunderbird, Volvo relay and VW temp switch
-Custom intake
-JBA headers, 2.5" cat-back exhaust with thrush welded muffler

Last edited:

mavereq

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nice work. That chassis black laid out nicely.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Id like to get my hands on a similar truck

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
Thanks mavereq! I was definitely happy with how the undercoating came out. 1991fordranger1, I know what you mean; I set out for a couple months looking for the right Ranger when I was looking. I wanted a clean 7' bed manual 4x4 and lucked out with this one!

Last edited:

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
I always have wanted a regular cab short box 4x4 manual trans truck I have the courier on the go but always am looking at them

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
Converted from the single side exit exhaust to a dual rear exit exhaust. It was actually a $200 kit off ebay so I figured I'd try it and it actually sounds really good. It's 2-1/4" piping from the cat back. It's also all clamped together so at some point I may weld it instead.

photo 12.JPG

I also bought some wheels from a newer Ranger off craigslist and refinished them for my summer set. Also managed to get a deal on some used 235/75R15 tires in great shape off craigslist and am now running that size as opposed to the stock 215/75. The difference in size is nice, it's not too drastic but looks more appropriate. I didn't want to go too much bigger because I don't want the truck to become gutless and I don't really want to re-gear it.

photo 13.JPG

Next up will hopefully be a leveling kit! The lean has bothered me since day one haha

Last edited:

DannyG

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Really enjoying the simplicity of this build. Hopefully within the next year I will be doing a restoration on my 1992 and putting it back into DD status.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looking really sharp :icon_thumby:

Neat to see a newer longbox too.

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
Thanks guys! And DannyG - good luck with your build!

I ordered leveling springs and front sway bar bushings, so hopefully my next post will be of that!

Last edited:

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
Managed a score on craigslist the other day - found an 8.8 3:73 limited slip rear end from an Explorer! The guy had welded on new spring perches and sand blasted & painted it to use on a project but then decided the axle wasn't wide enough. Once I get my leveling springs in I'll start getting this rear end ready to go in!

IMG_2624.JPG

Last edited:

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
Got the leveling springs in today! Also took the opportunity & repainted the sway bar and replaced the bushings with poly bushings while it was out.

IMG_2632.JPG
IMG_2633.JPG

I tried to correct for the excessive positive camber after installing the springs. It's closer to stock but not quite there, I'm hoping as the springs settle that it'll come in more. If not I'll just suck it up and get some fully adjustable camber/caster bushings.

Before the adjustment:
IMG_2634.JPG

After the adjustment:
IMG_2636.JPG

Last edited:

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
A little change of plans... I sold the 3.73 8.8 L/S explorer rear end I had bought. Long story short after pulling a small trailer with a lawn mower in it I've decided my truck would probably benefit a lot from having 4.10's instead of 3.73's. I really didn't want to have to change out the front diff as well as the rear but the truck could really use it.

So, at a local junkyard I found this rear end in an 03 Sport Trac. It's an 8.8 L/S as well, this time with 4.10's. Internally it's actually in better condition than the 3.73 was, and I spent less on it. :icon_thumby: The exterior is actually decently clean considering as well.

photo 17.JPG

Now to find a TTB 4.10 front end...

Last edited:

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
Small progress - got the spring perches & sway bar brackets chopped off, and with my brother's help, welded the spring perches back on in the correct location. He also helped fab up some shock mounts and we got those on tonight as well. :icon_thumby:

photo 18.JPG

Last edited:

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
Unrelated to the last couple posts but...

I swapped in a set of 06+ mirrors today. That was probably one of the easiest and most rewarding modifications I've done!

photo 16.JPG

Last edited:

STPL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
My credo
N/A
Any complaints about the side exit exhaust? My exhaust needs some work and I'm considering shortening it up just for simplicities sake.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals