• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Mustang 5.0HO Swap into 94 B3000 Help!

grochala

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I have been reading up on this swap and it appears that I have 99% of what I need to finish it off. However after ready as many posts, threads and How To's I'm still not clear of the best way to remove my old wiring and install the 5.0 wiring and computer? Do I literally cut everything off the round firewall plug and splice into that or is that overkill?

No one has been clear on this in any of the how to's I've found. So I'm anxious to start lopping off wiring if it's going to cause me heartburn. Some people say only 5-7 wires need spliced to make it all work right. I have all the diagrams to match everything up but not clear as to what is really necessary.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Power for the ignition coil, starter and anything else to run the 5.0 is all you have to save.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Since your lights and a lot of other useful stuff are routed through the round plug on the driver side firewall, it would be a bad idea to cut all that off. Start by unplugging the old ECU and tracing those wires out to the engine. Remove the wires that go to the engine controls since the 5.0 harness will have all of those with it. My memory is a little fuzzy on all that I removed, but you can figure a lot of it out as you begin to install the 5.0 harness. Mine had a fire prior to the swap, so I lost a lot of the old harness before I started.

grochala

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Thank you

I have been going over the build threads with a fine tooth comb and gathering all of the necessary tips for the project. There is a lot of great info and I feel good about having it pretty well in order. Just a little anxious about the wiring. Thank you for the suggestions. I plan to split the Mazda wire loom open and separate the Engine harness away from the lighting and other necessary harnesses. Then do the same with the Mustang loom. I expect the few needed connections to splice into the round connector will become quite obvious at that point. So referencing back to the wiring diagrams at that point will help me connect the right wires.

Luckily i found a motor from a Conv Mustang so even the motor mounts are right. The only problem i have is the BBK Even length headers don't look like they are going to work on the drivers side so I'm searching for some stock cast iron manifolds. Might do a little port matching and die grinding to help them flow better.

I plan to take plenty of pics during the process to document the build and will put together a helpful build diary.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
My only obstacle was hooking in the 5.0 alternator wiring into the rangers. Thankfully my dad is genius at doing such things, he use to do wiring like that for a living, so it was a cake walk for him. Mine was an external voltage regulator and now I have an internal.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
which headers?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals