• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

.875 master cylinder

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I cant find any help at any of the local auto stores for the .875 bore master cyl. each time their computers tell us that its .875 bore and when it gets here its really .75 bore.

does anyone have a direct part number for the .875 bore, or a known year and motor to tell the parts store guy?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, only option other than the master is the slave. Any idea of what it's bore is? I sure thought Teddyzee had found one that was a 7/8" bore MC.
Dave

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Yes, mine is from an '89 V6 Ranger. I just checked NAPA site, they no longer list the specs. But that site changes regularly...
Others claim to have measured these, and they are not 7/8". However, my clutch works with this master, and did not work with my stock 1997 5/8" bore master.

Who knows.

I found very very few slave cylinders less than 3/4" bore.

I think Willwood or other companies actually make an angle adapter for putting a straight slave in an angled use, like our Rangers.

My build may have a part number.

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual

backerm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
well I've got an '88 and my master looks like the one on the right, but I have an internal slave. You might try LMC truck, they have some external slaves. That's strange, I can't remember ever seeing a ranger with an external slave.

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's strange, I can't remember ever seeing a ranger with an external slave.
I believe only '83/'84 had them, three styles, one for each engine (6,4,diesel)

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i've tried all the years and motor combniations including 4.0 that Teddyzee listed, and the auto stores list the MC as a .75, or .751 bore. now an old clutch shop in town pulled out a big dusty book and got a part number for a .875 bore MC from a 88-90 B2. but the part number is obsolete now and recommends the same .75 bore MC that i already have. so i don't know what i'm going to do as this is all i have left on my v8 m5od-r2 swap.

backerm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
does the line fit in the master?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The 7/8 bore may not be manufactured any longer for a 20 year old vehicle. When I went thru this ten years ago, I had to look thru the boxes at the local Advance Auto Parts to get what I wanted: a 7/8 bore aluminum master cylinder, the second time around I had to get them to order another and hope they got the right one, seems like they ordered twice at least before getting the 7/8 aluminum one.

1988BroncoII

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 88 ford bronco II with a m50d-r2 and a 93 cobra 5.0 i'm using the 88 factory Master Cylinder and the slave cylinder for a 88 bronco II fm146 and i have no issues with my clutch , i did at first when i bleed the clutch it still wouldn't fully disengage , after looking when i pressed the clutch all the way down the clutch pedel was hitting the firewall which wasn't allowing the mc to fully depress so i justg balled up some electrical tape threw it in the hole where the rod goes and all seems to work great after i rebleed the clutch the pedel isn't hitting the firewall anymore but my pedel is about 1/2 inch higher then my brake no biggie my clutch works great thanks to electrical tap.. hope this helps

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The firewall flexing with the mastercylinder will also cause disengagement issues. Mine did this until the firewall completely failed, my foot went litterally thru the floor. Made that joke more than a few times, but that was the first time it actually happened :shok::D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals