• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The New To Me F100

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I've seen this truck sitting for over 10yrs now and I stopped and asked if they would sale the truck to me. The lady told me if I could get it out of her yard I could have it for FREE. I'm not sure on the year or engine yet I know its atleast a 1973-76 and a v8 engine. It is 2wd and has been parked since 1989 according to the tag. I know the engine is not seized up but it is missing the carb and radiator and she didnt have any keys for the truck. I have been looking for a new project and now I have it. The seat is pretty much trash but the rest of the interior is in pretty good shape. The glove box was full of 12ga shotgun shells and 22 cal shells:icon_rofl:

EDIT: If anyone can find me some info on this truck using the VIN please do I can't get anything to come up with it.
VIN>>>> F10HCT43832 carfax say its to short the be a VIN # but the badge on the door says VIN next to this number

Sorry bout the bad pics but all I had was my cell phone

Where the truck sat since 1989. Has had a tree on top of it for at least 6-7yrs

When I got it home today

I washed it up and it looks a little better

Last edited:

Welder0800

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice!

Hey thats a good looking truck for sitting for 21 years and having a tree on it!
I looked into the VIN some and it's said pretty much what you knew 1/2 ton 2wd with the 390 two-barrel and made in Ontario, Canada.
This is what I found hope it's correct.

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey thats a good looking truck for sitting for 21 years and having a tree on it!
I looked into the VIN some and it's said pretty much what you knew 1/2 ton 2wd with the 390 two-barrel and made in Ontario, Canada.
This is what I found hope it's correct.
Yes the tree did not damage the truck at all. It does have some bondo places that were never finished so all I have to do is sand and paint those places.

Thanks for looking that up for me. I didn't know it had the 390 in it I was thinking 351 also, Canada?? i never would have thought it was made in Canada.

Edit: Did the information you found give a year for the truck??
EDIT AGAIN: I found the year its a 1973, the first year of that body style and front end.
If you don't mind me asking where did you find that info?? I have been all over the internet trying to find some info on it.

Last edited:

Welder0800

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here's my source

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/decodevin2.php
Thats the website I looked at it says it's for 1973-80 trucks. Sorry no year. I say take it with a grain of salt just knowing how the internet is.
Sorry I can't personally be more help id'ing the engine just not my thing.

Last edited:

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
cool truck man :icon_thumby:

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Find out what trans it's got. I had a '76 with a C4 automatic (3 speed) and it was junk. If you ever gotta do any trans work, get a C6 (heavier duty 3 speed). It's probably already got a C6 though, if it's got a 390. Mine had a 302.

If it's got a C4 and it's working fine, don't tow anything with it cuz it'll toast the trans. Actually if it's been sitting that long, ANY auto trans is likely to be junk.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Find out what trans it's got. I had a '76 with a C4 automatic (3 speed) and it was junk. If you ever gotta do any trans work, get a C6 (heavier duty 3 speed). It's probably already got a C6 though, if it's got a 390. Mine had a 302.

If it's got a C4 and it's working fine, don't tow anything with it cuz it'll toast the trans. Actually if it's been sitting that long, ANY auto trans is likely to be junk.
It wouldn't have come with one. If it's a C4 then it came from a 351M or 400.

nine-teen91stxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1977
Make / Model
Ford, Ford
Engine Size
245 cid of fury, 6.6l
Transmission
Manual
one sure fire way to tell if its either a 360 or 390 from the out side of the motor is a little hose about 2" long from the top of the waterpump to the block.

Welder0800

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nine-teen91stxranger:
one sure fire way to tell if its either a 360 or 390 from the out side of the motor is a little hose about 2" long from the top of the waterpump to the block.
That's how my 352 is. must be an FE thing.

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic

Its got the c6 tranny in it already had that checked. I probably wont be towing anything with it at all. I use my 97 powerstroke to do all my pulling.

I'll try to get some better pics of the truck and interior and under the hood when I can

jhammel85

Nice! I can't wait to see you really dig into this and maybe get it running!

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Nice! I can't wait to see you really dig into this and maybe get it running!
Thanks yea I have already picked up a radiator for the truck and I'm going tomorrow to get a carb for it. Possible in the short future I'll be putting a Holley 600 4-barrel on it. Got the seat put back together and back in the truck and vacuumed it out. I guess the next thing is to drop the gas tank and clean it and the fuel lines out. Rainy day today so I won't make any progress today.

P.S.-- My goal is to have it running by the 14th of August because I start Automechanics classes on the 15th and I'll have alot of FREE labor to help me work on it at school.

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
Thanks yea I have already picked up a radiator for the truck and I'm going tomorrow to get a carb for it. Possible in the short future I'll be putting a Holley 600 4-barrel on it. Got the seat put back together and back in the truck and vacuumed it out. I guess the next thing is to drop the gas tank and clean it and the fuel lines out. Rainy day today so I won't make any progress today.

P.S.-- My goal is to have it running by the 14th of August because I start Automechanics classes on the 15th and I'll have alot of FREE labor to help me work on it at school.
Watch out for that free work. It may cost you if you just let anyone work on it.

And you got lucky. Getting that truck for free

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
So I went to my local Pull-A-Part today to get me a carburetor, headlight switch and a ignition switch w/key. I cam home with everything EXCEPT the carburetor which is the main thing I went after. Got home and went to install the headlight switch and the one in my truck decided to work, then I went to install the ignition switch and found out I got the wrong one for my truck!! So now I have a extra headlight switch and a wrong type ignition switch. Going Monday to search local junkyards fro a carb since I don't have the funds to buy a new one.

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
So I went to my local Pull-A-Part today to get me a carburetor, headlight switch and a ignition switch w/key. I cam home with everything EXCEPT the carburetor which is the main thing I went after. Got home and went to install the headlight switch and the one in my truck decided to work, then I went to install the ignition switch and found out I got the wrong one for my truck!! So now I have a extra headlight switch and a wrong type ignition switch. Going Monday to search local junkyards fro a carb since I don't have the funds to buy a new one.
Ok, so at this point, in keeping with what usually happens in a forum after mentioning you're low on funds, ... let's have the next 3 posters suggest you go out and buy a brand new Holley 600 CFM double-pumper and a fancy Edelbrock intake, ...LOL.

I'm not surprised that ignition switch didn't fit. I'm assuming you took it out of the exact same year and model of truck. Why would you actually expect that to fit yours? This is FORD we're talking about. No two are the same and NOTHING from one truck will fit another one, not even the floor mats!!! :icon_confused:

Save that headlight switch though. If it wasn't working right, but then suddenly started working again, chances are it's gonna quit working again in the near future.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals