• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1973 courier/ ranger build

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Tacked a couple pieces of 2x2×.188 onto the frame will hang the mounts off the piece of 2x3x.250 that's across the front. I have decided I want to run shackle at rear as it seems to be the preferred from people I've talked too for ride quality.

When setting up caster fo I have to rotate forwards or back wards a degree one way or the other to deal with spring compression with weight on it? I need to get this front axle done so I can get into the rear its easy get my head around. This front axle is making me frustrated

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Some progress

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
So it has been over a year since i posted.

As life goes on time to get to these things seems to slip but I'd like to keep people updated.

I do not have photos of it but since my last post I've installed the rear axle making my own mounts and using 64" chevy springs. Nothing really to exciting but it happened.

I've ripped the doors off the truck and done repair to the kicker panels making them out of 16guauge sheet. It was easier to just replace the entire piece then to patch it and being as they are mirrored side to side I just did them both for simplicity and to make it look like it should be that way.

Not the greatest picture but you get the idea.

Next i decided to remake the factory body mount out of some tubing and double as a reinforcement for the front suspension rear mount. I just xopyed the factory style mount but made it out is square tube for simplicity again.

il

It's made plenty heavy but using scrap metal you take what you can get.

I've moved on to the floor and tunnel work it's slow but more I do the more I learn which is what these projects are about.

20200221_211027.jpg

I formed the tunnel out of 14 gauge just to add a stiff ridged point in the middle.

Next I made floor pans out of 16 gauge and formed them to fit with a little bit of cross braking for strength. I will ad some reinforcement when it's all in there and I can see where my seats will go I'll form some channel to make a seat bracket slash stiffener.

This is when I just had them sitting in there. I still have a bit of trimming and fitting to do but its coming.

I'd love to drive this truck this year so I'm pushing hard as I can now but progress is progress

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Awesome!

Life certainly does slow down cool projects, I'm hoping to finish my twin turbo ls wagon project this year... that started 3 years ago lol.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You’re telling me! I have a retaining wall I’ve been building for about two years now. A dislocated shoulder and a deployment have really slowed my roll. On the plus side, settling and wall movement should not be an issue because of it...

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Floor and tunnel looks great! Good job man. Happy to see some updates one this one.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
I did a Reno on my shop this past fall and wired in a phase converter for my mill I bought I've been busy but with my new set up in my shop and tinned interior I can make sparks with out worrying about burning my place down.

I'll try to keep you posted and keep doing lots of little bits to keep progress happening

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Truck is looking good, lot of work just to swap engines and transmissions...may have been easier to just start from scratch and glue the emblems onto whatever came out...I mean that's what Ford has done with the new Ranger and Bronco, may as well have built a new version of the Courier, but I love that you are keeping it mostly the original body shell, I love the older trucks, don't see many couriers around anymore.

That 5 cylinder diesel should have no problems moving that Courier around. I like where you are going with that Courier.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Truck is looking good, lot of work just to swap engines and transmissions...may have been easier to just start from scratch and glue the emblems onto whatever came out...I mean that's what Ford has done with the new Ranger and Bronco, may as well have built a new version of the Courier, but I love that you are keeping it mostly the original body shell, I love the older trucks, don't see many couriers around anymore.

That 5 cylinder diesel should have no problems moving that Courier around. I like where you are going with that Courier.

I bought it because it was a cool little truck and I had some parts. I had never heard of a courier before I bought this one.

The only visible difference I'm going for with this truck is 4x4 so bigger tires and 4x4 system. And I'll need some sort of a flare to not get flack from the rcmp for my tires sticking out.

I enjoy the project is why I'm doing it. When I bought this truck i had 1 son so truck was fine. I now have 3 sons so I am already dreaming about future projects. I think a international scout would be a cool vehicle for multiple kids and a wife but my heart will always be with little trucks

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
just found this thread, interesting!
*watching*

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I bought it because it was a cool little truck and I had some parts. I had never heard of a courier before I bought this one.

The only visible difference I'm going for with this truck is 4x4 so bigger tires and 4x4 system. And I'll need some sort of a flare to not get flack from the rcmp for my tires sticking out.

I enjoy the project is why I'm doing it. When I bought this truck i had 1 son so truck was fine. I now have 3 sons so I am already dreaming about future projects. I think a international scout would be a cool vehicle for multiple kids and a wife but my heart will always be with little trucks
The project looks great, but I'd love to see an IH Scout build too....yep the little trucks are very much under appreciated for what they're able to do.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I can't wait to see this done. I don't know why you don't see many of these trucks. You see more of the old Mazdas than you do the couriers.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
I'm getting to the point where I might be somewhere but with the laws getting harsher by it being a 2wd registered vehicle to convert to diesel and 4x4 will require a inspection where I'm told I will be denied from the heavy modifications of my frame I think I may be in need of a new donor vehicle ?☹??

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual

Hi I'm brendan and I have a mini truck problem.

400 bucks with a pretty minty body

Motor is toast but who cares 2.9s arent the best for 4x4ing anyways

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals