• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 91 Ranger the stRanger

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Great coverage as always guys! Man Im so jealsous of the wheeling you have out there. I need a road trip!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i am moving in.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Probably boring to you but that is beautiful country, looks like a lot of fun :icon_thumby:

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Trip report Chile Challenge day 3
Trail: The Narrows

For the last day of the Chili Challenge we chose to run the trail “The Narrows”. It is rated as a “hard” difficulty but the reality of the trail is that it is moderate difficulty and has one obstacle that could be considered hard. A vehicle with 33s could make it through the trail relatively easily. The trail was also very short and it took our group of 8 rigs only 3.5 hours to get through it and we took many breaks. Overall I liked the trail, it was a tight narrow canyon with a couple V notch sections and medium sized boulders. We had ample time to run another trail after this, and half of the group did, but we had to head home. We broke camp and started the drive back to Albuquerque, which is about 3 hours.

I had a pretty high vibration through the truck on the road due to my driveshaft being banged up and my tires really chewed up and out of balance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-c14wQxVjI

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
No major updates, holidays and finances have been cutting into my wheeling time, plus everyone I wheel with seems to have a laundry list of stuff to fix on their rigs.

I got my new tires and wheels. I know everyone will be disappointed I kept 37s and didn’t get a true beadlock, but I like what I got. I went with the Nittos and discount tire have me a good deal on Level 8 Bully Pro wheels. The wheels are not a beadlock, but they do have a ring on the lip that is designed to be sacrificial and save the wheel. I like the look and functionality of it. The wheels also have 2 valve stems for airing up/down.

I contemplated going with a 40” tire, but I would have to change my spare, gear ratios, get a real axle up front and basically redo the front end. I really just want to use the crap out of it right now and fine tune the suspension instead of taking it apart for another year. I plan on next year building a front axle, either a 609 or narrowed Dana 60, we will see what funds allow for!

I also replaced my driveshaft with a new 1350 shaft from full torque driveshafts. After getting new tires, wheels, and a driveshaft, it feels ridiculously smooth on the road compared to what it used to.

I have been working on a relay/fuse panel for some lights since it gets dark at like 4:30 here, so when I do get out wheeling I can stay out a bit longer. Lights to come soon hopefully.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Those wheels look amazing!

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i wonder how much your cage added? i know our extended cabs are pretty hefty in weight.

my buddys k5 blazer with one tons and 40s with trail gear beadlocks, 383, nv4500, 241. weighed in at like 4800 with a full tank of fuel.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
i wonder how much your cage added? i know our extended cabs are pretty hefty in weight.

my buddys k5 blazer with one tons and 40s with trail gear beadlocks, 383, nv4500, 241. weighed in at like 4800 with a full tank of fuel.

The 1.75 tubing weighs roughly 2.5 lbs a foot. So it added some weight for sure seeing as I used about 115 feet of it in the exo and 15 feet in the engine area. The sliders and the 1/4 plate I used to box the frame under the cab is hefty as well. My front bumper needs to be redesigned because that thing weighs around 175-200 lbs with the winch and synthetic line. I can shave some fat in some areas for sure.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 1.75 tubing weighs roughly 2.5 lbs a foot. So it added some weight for sure seeing as I used about 115 feet of it in the exo and 15 feet in the engine area. The sliders and the 1/4 plate I used to box the frame under the cab is hefty as well. My front bumper needs to be redesigned because that thing weighs around 175-200 lbs with the winch and synthetic line. I can shave some fat in some areas for sure.
That’s all true. Now that you mentioned some key elements my buddy has a cage and rock sliders plus a few other things he’s adding this season. He’s hoping to be around 5500.

FWIW he has had zero issues with the trail gear beadlocks. They never burp air. No broken bolts. He’s running procomp 40s without balancing and has no vibrations at 80. All the other dudes have constant problems with there beadlock wheels that cost far more.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
thanks again for the video work. really love the windsor growling...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals