• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to change your Odometer when doing a gauge swap...95-03 trucks

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You wanted a tachometer, it works right? Forget about the rest, you don't need them LOL..
I don't know much when it comes to electrical in vehicles but there might be a way to test it with a voltmeter or ohmmeter or something. I would assume if all the connections match it should work, you might've gotten a defective one or they're simply not compatible.

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
HELP
Old thread but researching trying to find answers for my project to be completed

looking for repining of the warning lights on a 1995 Ranger using ONLY the white faced cluster,
I have to repin to get my door ajar and check engine and check fuel cap to light up correctly.

been doing a weeks worth of research and can find lots of people talking about it and doing it but no posts on which wires and which connectors the wires need to be moved and repined at.

any help or link to posts or thread of how to complete this would be much appreciated.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

HAWGFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just did a 97 stick 2.3 TODAY,2/25/2020 with a later model EXP dash,tach worked first time as did all lights with check engine and check fuel cap[far left side] staying on, but that, I bet, is because the cat is blown out, new catless short side pipe 2in exhaust with jones turbo cylinder type muff is on the list. I already have this on my 96 auto.By far the best sounding muffler for the 2.3 and is completely hidden and cheap,but I had to help a few interior welds and open up the tube perforations ,aka deburr.They make an 18in and a 12, no packing to blowout. My 96 runs a single cat now in orginal spot with no issues and is going turbo if i could ever find a shop in ATL,Ga to do the build..head of a guy named Jacob Van something thatis supposed to be top notch...I think the bottom line here is using as close to your year as possbile guage swap going by the part number on the circuit sheet. I used F8 and have only to remove and swap ODO or change back around 38K to be correct.wish there was a simpler way that as described above to change the numbers,but at least theres a way..95-01 gage packs i've been told over and over are the same,so the swap addin old speedo to new tach cluster makes the most sense,but i'm in the south ,this plastic gets heat drenched brittle as hell.Try it on a junker while you are in a pull a part, they sell the gage pak for $32...I had more trouble with the damn shift know comin of the splines to change the boot,had to cut,so I need a new knob,who's gotta stocker to send me?

HAWGFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
did the same swap again with a 98 EXP dash into a 96 auto and everything worked but the check suspension light stays on and the check gas cap light is intermitent but am not runnin cat and downstream o2 sensor. replaced alot of 194 bulbs,so much that i am going to buy bulb LEd replacements but couldn;t find the number on the smaller still idiot lights..what are they?..tomorrow ,now that I know i have workin gage packs i will reset the mileage.i practiced on my 2 stock gages which worked just fine. They are for sale ,maybe $50 and the shipping? .They don;t include the gear select indicator or cable. the 96 is just under 330 and the 97 is under 213.. no bulbs included,and there might be some bulb holders missing but easy enough to grab next time i got to yard,dont recall any missing. the yard I was at had plenty of exp and rangers, so if anyone wants a tach dash or any other ranger part and can't seem to find local,ask me. tach dash from yard will be a bit more cash and am including electrical testing to make sure you get a working unit,they are as is from yard but I can return for yard credit,so its a win for all..I can reset the mileage as well but this is time consuming,so it would be more cash,,but then another win as i would test after that change.. I go by the printed circuit numbers and won't go past 01,until I find a later one and test it. I would also swap parts I need for a dash pack .I'm home healin surgery and gonna be on disability for a while, going stir crazy,so i got the time to do a few quickly ,no family stuff in the way and could use the $$ for bills until the help kicks in... email direct hawgford@windstream.net

HAWGFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
noticed a problem after some drive time and i bet an eletrical guy knows the answer. The truck is the 96 2.3 and the gauge pack is a 98 explorer,My temp gauge stock used to stay right at the bottom,with new pump and rad and sender,but now when shut off it slowly drains to zero,but running is slowly rises and stay to mid gauge..Do I have to recalibrate the gauge to a 4 cyl sender or change the 4 cyl sender to 6/ 8?.After readin up on calibrating the actual speedo,{ if i remove the speedo gears/reset] I am wondering if.... Alos when the truck kick into OD,the OD OFF light flashes,but goes away when the trucks lights are turned on,returning when truck lights off, and turnnin off completely with truck shut down, returnin only when agai the truck drops into OD.. I do get a OD solenoid code saying its stuck off, but yet you can hear the truck drop in O D..I do alot of commuting 5 hours trips so I'll take the60 mph at 1900 rpm all day. Physically I can;t run a manual trans yet until I get some" elective{!} " surgery..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals