• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

blown head gasket or cracked head, help.

usmc1371

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
1999 4.0 ranger 4x4 stock, 117K

So on my way home the temp gauge jumped to hot, pulled over noticed the coolent res was empty and I figured I had a leak in heater hose or such. Nursed it home, pulled dip stick and its super full IE coolent in crank case and as soon as I started it the upper rad hose suctioned it self flat. I thought head gasket but ford tech told me he would put his money on cracked head.

Is there any way to tell the dif befor I rip into this engine so I know if I need to find a new head not just a gasket? thanks for any help or links to post with the same question.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Normally I would say head gasket, but the flat hose kinda makes me think the coolant system is exposed to vacuum. Might be a bad head. I don't know of any way to tell before you tear in.

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
well...if you have coolant in the oil, the gasket is most likely gone expecially after being hot. tear it apart and get the heads magnafluxed. if they come back ok...might be the block. but i think you have cracked heads at this point. sorry there is no better way to tell except tearing it apart but that is the nature of the beast.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Funny...the 4.0 I bought had 114k on it and both of the heads were cracked. It's an easy job to do, just time consuming.

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a cracked head, but like 88 said it could even be the block. Either way the only way to truly know what happened is to tear the block down and find the cracks.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Funny...the 4.0 I bought had 114k on it and both of the heads were cracked. It's an easy job to do, just time consuming.
sounds like he PO beat that poor truck(geting tired of having to hit t 20 times for it to work)

usmc1371

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the input, I am a little nervous about ripping into a SOHC engine, I am used to jeep 4.0 wich is about as simple as an engine gets.

I was quoted apx 1000$ to replace the head gasket does this sound about right?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals