• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

airaid CAI w/ stock intake tube vs K&N w/ their tube

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so i dont know if this is a dumb question, but i see that the Airaid CAI's dont come with a tube or whatever, you just use the stock tube...

my question is, are the tubes on the K&N's and other companys better than the stock one? does it give the air an easier path to the engine or anything?

could some please answer this question!, thanks

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No! There is no difference in the negative pressure between the stock tube and any of the aftermarket ones..
Even racers use OEM filters! They LOVE their engines and need them to finish races.
You will see no gain whatever using other than stock tubes and filters..
The aftermarket tubes/filters make more sound and lots of guys confuse the NOISE with power.. Nope! It don't happen.
Big JIm

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
just wondering, why are they dynoed at 6.8HP gain on the 4.0L SOHC on KN's website?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Somewhat like other novices

just wondering, why are they dynoed at 6.8HP gain on the 4.0L SOHC on KN's website?
You have written DYNOED when the site says "estimated power gains for each air intake system."

And then it says the "estimated gain is at 5243 RPM! Now if they must go to 5243 RPM to get an ESTIMATED (not dynoed) 6.8 HP... what do you think the gain MIGHT be estimated at 2,000 RPM????

K&N has NEVER written that there WILL BE GAINS?? ONLY novice users say they get a gain!!
Big JIm:icon_idea:

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ya, i see how it says estimated power now, but what about the dyno chart of the ford sport trac? is that just going to be for the particular vehicle

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
YES! It is for one that they say was brought to them by a neighbor.. Just weasel words for a bunch of hipe!

Since they SAY they have dyno equipment they also have a parking lot FULL of employees cars they could dyno.. But they DON"T! They give no warrantees..

Why you may ask? Because they KNOW full well their junk does NOTHING for 99% of the buyers of their product.

They rely entirely on the word of their NOVICE customers. If the filter on ANY normal ride is in good condition, there is NO WAY a K&N will improve anything.. not milage...not performance.. not "feel".. NOTHING!!

Cept maybe one thing..MORE NOISE!! Yep, your vehicle comes with a silencer in the intake system to keep the engine QUIET. Eleminating that silencer will make noise the engine has never made before and the NOVICE will think the noise is horsepower and economy..

Besides all that how many guys will spend $350+ for a system and then tell all his friends he threw that money away and was part of a huge scam?

A true test would be to install a clean new OEM filter and do the dyno and then to install the K&N and do it again..all at normal driving rpm.. and on a stock vehicle.. THEY have the equipment to do this...but they don't...ask yourself why..

Besides the noise the only other things a K&N will do for most ALL vehicles is to increase the amount of oil and dirt that is injested by the engine.. In my book none of the three is good.

Big Jim

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
ya, i see how it says estimated power now, but what about the dyno chart of the ford sport trac? is that just going to be for the particular vehicle

Do you think K&N would be truthful and say "No performance gains with our filters and intakes"? Just like they measure filter efficiency with one of their filters that is dirty, when all the big holes are plugged up.......

benny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have the airaid cold air in my truck and didnt notice any gain whatsoever and i think i might actually have got worse gas mileage pretty crappy for the 320$ i spent not worth it at all !

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have the airaid cold air in my truck and didnt notice any gain whatsoever and i think i might actually have got worse gas mileage pretty crappy for the 320$ i spent not worth it at all !

You should have gotten more noise!;missingteeth;

Seriously, it's good to see somebody telling the truth about their intake mod!
A lot of people try to believe that they got a performance increase from dropping the big $$$ on the aftermarket intake to make them feel better, but it just isn't going to happen!

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Benny

There are a few couragous guys out there like Benny! Duped by the ads and NOVICES saying how wonderful a certain thing is...they spend their money and there it went.. Just like shoving it up a dead dogs ass! No better results at all.
Thanks Benny.
Big JIm :rolleyes:

FoRdDaNgEr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
okay "cold air intake" people. lets use our brains here.
now by removing something that protects from hot air.... and opening the filter up to the engine bays 100 + temperature air... how is that going to funtion as a cold air intake?
im sure that the multi million dollars of research that ford invests into creating quality vehicles is being put to use.
if you want to use thier idea of pulling out side air into your engine, simple cut a hole in the firewall right of your fender. and place a mushroom or conicle filter in there.
this would allow a higher amount of colder air to flow pass your MAF and into your engine

BrokeRecord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
To add a tad to Ford D's answer. If you cut the fender you get more fresh air, but, you get more fresh dirt and water being slung up by the front wheels too. So, maybe just leave it alone. If you want mileage, get a Civicc, power get a Titan, a great lil personal truck get a Ranger and be happy.:drool::drool:

FoRdDaNgEr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
not true. because you still have the fender wall protecting the filter.

ringer4x4

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i agree with the problems of them being oiled but how do u explain those flow meters u see in almost every speed shop in the country comparing the kn vs stock? the kn outflows it by a wide margin granted i don't think our 4.0 are having that much difficulty breathing... one reason i am debating installing a ram air setup instead

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
i agree with the problems of them being oiled but how do u explain those flow meters u see in almost every speed shop in the country comparing the kn vs stock? the kn outflows it by a wide margin granted i don't think our 4.0 are having that much difficulty breathing... one reason i am debating installing a ram air setup instead
K&N filters flow more than stock filters because they have bigger holes in them that allow more air (and DIRT) through the filter. Like you said, the 4.0 doesn't have any difficulty breathing and has no use for more air anyway, so even if the filter flowed more, it still wouldn't make any difference in power.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals