• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission won't shift into Reverse or Neutral.

AustinwMullis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My transmission in my 1990 Bronco II won't go into reverse. The reverse lights come one, but the trans stays in park. In nuetral, if shifts into drive. And Drive, well works like drive. We at first thought it might be the linkage, but after messing with it for a bit, it still aint right. Now im thinking its something inside the transmission and was hoping someone could help me identify the problem before sinking tons of money on a new tranny.

Vehicle Info : 1990 Ford Bronco II, 2.9L 4X4 Automatic transmission.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The only auto trans I've had experience with in the last 18 years has really been the 4R70W that's in my explorer, but since it's been apart twice for similar I thought I'd give my thoughts...

I lost reverse and such in my trans twice, first time everything broke I believe starting with the torque converter which took out some clutches. Second time it started making noise and lost a gear, the gear teeth in the planetary got worn out and started shedding gear tips.

This could be as simple as a solenoid or fluid level issue though, hopefully it's not as bad as my 4R70W as it took $1100 just in parts... the A4LD's aren't known for much but their issues but sometimes are easy to get going again...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

You have an A4LD transmission

So when you shift from Park to Reverse the truck won't roll so still in Park

And Neutral is Drive

I would inspect the cable from firewall down to transmission, sheath can split so cable travel is changed

The Reverse lights are activated by the NSS(neutral safety switch), its a plunger style switch, located just above the shift rod on the driver side of transmission
Image here: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DesAAMXQbcRQ7A21/s-l300.jpg

It should activate reverse light unless cam on the shift rod inside transmission is in Reverse position, so that is odd.

I assume if you shift from 1st back up to Neutral and then Reverse its the same thing?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals