• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Nightmare with '99 ranger steel wheels

BUDS RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Hey People, Little help . . . .

I have a 99 ranger with steel wheels that are becoming too rusted along the bead to hold in air. I need new rims. This Ranger has a 14 inch diameter wheel with 5.5 inch bolt spacing the rims are surely "HUB Sentric". The hubs is are 61 mm round. It was standard Ford Steel Rim in 1999 but I can't find replacements anywhere. I've looked at Summitt Racing, Dorman, Rock Auto and a sundry of other places online and off trying to find inexpensive wheels that will fit this truck. I don't want to drop a bunch of cash on expensive alloys and new 15 inch tires. It's a daily driver and I could care less. What have you people found out there? Any Help appreciated.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist, all kinds of wheels and tires being sold as sets, many with plenty of tread

I have a 99 ranger with steel wheels that are becoming too rusted along the bead to hold in air. I need new rims. This Ranger has a 14 inch diameter wheel with 5.5 inch bolt spacing the rims are surely "HUB Sentric". The hubs is are 61 mm round. It was standard Ford Steel Rim in 1999 but I can't find replacements anywhere. I've looked at Summitt Racing, Dorman, Rock Auto and a sundry of other places online and off trying to find inexpensive wheels that will fit this truck. I don't want to drop a bunch of cash on expensive alloys and new 15 inch tires. It's a daily driver and I could care less. What have you people found out there? Any Help appreciated.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Your numbers don't jive for a '99 Ranger:

All Rangers have a 5 x 4.5" pattern.

'99 Ranger should have a 70.3mm hub. Now, the '95-97 rotor would fit on a '99 spindle, and the rotor is same diameter, but the hub is a smaller 63.5mm. So, it sounds like at some time in the past someone has done a front brake job and installed wrong parts. Which could be PIA as the rears would still be the larger 70.3mm.

The smaller fronts should work in your favour - you can look for '83-97 Ranger 14" rims. And 14s were more common then.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
you should be able to use the steel 15 x 6 "fleet" wheels. they are the same 1998 thru 2010. I had a set of them on a '99 this summer.

car-part.com shows listings for the 14x6 steel wheels, ranges from $45 to $25. some are in Ky.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Also, all Rangers, and any other wheel that uses a coned end lug nut is lug-centric, not hub-centric.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm running some random Jeep wheels I found on Craigslist on my '99 Explorer... even kept the Jeep center cap things on... only thing I had to do is buy 5mm wheel spacers for the front so the aluminum wheels don't hit the A arms at full lock...

Don't get too caught up on exact dimensions, go with the mantra of the house cat "If I fits, I sits", or something like that... I'm betting there's some cheap Jeep or Explorer wheels and tires on craigslist around you, or just get some cheap steelies, that's my plan once I start building my explorer up assuming I don't find the tires I want used with wheels already...

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You should have no issues finding 14 or 15 inch wheels for a 99 ranger. Like others are saying there are a lot of options like craigslist, facebook, local pick and pulls. I have steel rims on mine and I had one get a pin hole right by the bead so it was flat after a few days. found the exact rim at a local pick and pull for $18. Just remember if you go with a different size than what is on your door jamb then you will have to remember your speedometer will be off. I think there is a calculator on here that tells you the difference if you put in the size of the new wheel and the old wheel. Just got to keep looking. It really shouldn't be hard at all.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
They ain't the prettiest, but I have a set of old school (gen 1.5) aluminum Ranger/F150 rims sitting. They're 15" though. 3 are original Ford (OE'd by alcoa); the last is an aftermarket copy by American Racing (or the like). I'm about 2 hours from Lexington... I was going to use them for snow tires (considering how cosmetically shot the 3 old ones are), but I don't really have the need and I never got around to it. They used to be on my old 1995, but I found a prettier set of 15's at Pull-a-part and had my tires remounted.

PM me if interested...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals