• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MIG Welding Regulator Advice?

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, folks.

Trying to make my first foray into welding, since the Ranger I bought turned out to be a lemon (rotted out floorboards, damaged body mounts, etc). I bought Lincoln’s HandyMIG, hoping it would fit my needs (here’s a link with all the stats offered by the retail store I bought it from: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lincoln-Electric-120-Volt-Mig-Flux-Cored-Wire-Feed-Welder/999972168?AID=10935405&PID=6148022&SID=jk5l44zohc00071b00e43&cm_mmc=AFF_CJ-_-6148022-_-2470763-_-10935405). I also purchased a tank of AR/CO2 shielding gas.

While trying to set up the welder for the first time, I ran into a snag. The welder came with a regulator, but unfortunately, it turns out that it contains NO gauges. :shok: This came as a big surprise, since every video I’ve watched on welding from the likes of Eastwood and others talks about the importance of setting the pressure of your shielding gas between 12-15 cfh. I’ve read all of the manuals that came with the welder and the only entry that even mentions anything to do with setting up the shielding gas just says the following:

“The preset regulator supplied with the machine is designed for use with argon blend gas... Open the cylinder valve slowly a fraction of a turn. When the cylinder pressure gauge pointer stops moving, open the valve fully.”

Am I reading this wrong, or is Lincoln trying to say that the gauges should somehow be on the tank instead of the regulator? My tank certainly didn’t come with any gauges, nor has any other tank I’ve ever seen. I feel like if I can even get someone at Lincoln to talk to me, they’ll probably say to take it up with the tank supplier, while the tank supplier will say to take it up with Lincoln or tell me that I have to buy another regulator, this time with gauges.

Can anyone please help me figure out what to do? Sorry to be such a newb. Thanks.

Last edited:

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
Should have 2 gauges on the regulator. 1 is tank pressure the other is regulated pressure.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
“The preset regulator supplied with the machine is designed for use with argon blend gas... Open the cylinder valve slowly a fraction of a turn. When the cylinder pressure gauge pointer stops moving, open the valve fully."
The way I read that is it is a non-adjustable regulator. I've not heard of that before but it is probably cheaper to produce. I expect that as long as you use the recommended gas that it will work fine. call Lincoln to confirm.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The way I read that is it is a non-adjustable regulator. I've not heard of that before but it is probably cheaper to produce. I expect that as long as you use the recommended gas that it will work fine. call Lincoln to confirm.
Yeah, I also got out of it that it was non-adjustable and I’m sure it’s cheaper (I just found out that the unit is made in Poland, so yeah... el cheapo). Guess I’ll call Lincoln on Monday, though I’ll probably have to go through the whole registration process and start an account with them just to talk to anyone.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter, FlOoReD. You’ve been so great about answering my threads. :icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
Personally I would just get an adjustable regulator.. I can't even imagine how they could expect a non adjustable regulator to work right. Maybe in perfect conditions but a little breeze fron a fan and it's no good. Or just get some 0.030. flux core wire and make sure the polarity is set right on the welder. Fluxcore is somewhat messier but a lot more forgiving with dirty and Rusty metal

Last edited:

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
If you decide to upgrade to a better regulator, I use this one
http://www.usaweld.com/Flowmeter-Hose-p/flowmeters.htm

it has a tank pressure gauge and an output flowmeter rather then a pressure gauge. I'v been using this one for 3 or 4 years now on my Century 150, replacing the oem setup, works great and reasonable price.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
I wouldn’t even monkey with a non-adjustable regulator. Save some cash and buy yourself a decent adjustable reg. and pour wire to your hearts content. I have a Lincoln 135 SP at home with the same Victor regulator on it as the one I use at work on a 500 amp ESAB. It’s dead nuts reliable and the leak down on it is impeccable. It’ll hold pressure for a solid couple weeks with the valve closed and even then it might drop 3-4 psi. This is a regulator that’s been in service for over 10 years, been dropped on the floor and otherwise completely mishandled. Not to mention, when it’s 90 degrees and windy, you can turn the gas up and keep burning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Personally I would just get an adjustable regulator.. I can't even imagine how they could expect a non adjustable regulator to work right. Maybe in perfect conditions but a little breeze fron a fan and it's no good. Or just get some 0.030. flux core wire and make sure the polarity is set right on the welder. Fluxcore is somewhat messier but a lot more forgiving with dirty and Rusty metal
Yeah, I plan to call Lincoln tomorrow and give them some shit. This welder was 350 bucks and so far, two of the components were worthless. They included a face shield that has to be held in place by hand (no headband). Bought an auto dimming one with a headband to replace it and I’ll be chucking that f@cker. Seriously, who is going to try to hold up a face shield while welding? Worthless.

Now this. Like you, I can’t possibly imagine how a non-adjustable regulator could possibly be useful for a damn thing.Should I really have to spend approximately another 150 bucks on a real face shield and regulator to make this damn thing work? F@ck Lincoln for this. They can keep their Eastern European garbage next time. Before anyone mentions it, I realize that professionals spend a LOT more on their equipment, but this welder is not being marketed to them, nor am I going to use it for years and make money with it.

I get what you’re saying about flux core and the machine did come with a spool of wire for it. But from what I’ve been told, it’s harder for a beginner to learn on flux core than shield gas and I also have to be able to weld thin 18 gauge floor pans in place which flux core will blow through (from what I’ve heard), so I think it’s a non-starter. Really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to leave your thoughts, though. Thanks, man. :icon_thumby:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you decide to upgrade to a better regulator, I use this one
http://www.usaweld.com/Flowmeter-Hose-p/flowmeters.htm

it has a tank pressure gauge and an output flowmeter rather then a pressure gauge. I'v been using this one for 3 or 4 years now on my Century 150, replacing the oem setup, works great and reasonable price.
Thanks, man. I definitely like the price... which makes me nervous. Any idea where it’s made? China? Do you run into problems trying not to break that big plastic square gauge off the top? I’m seeing this on a lot more gauges these days. Is it actually better, or just a way for corporations to pinch pennies on brass? Sorry for the questions... I’ve just been burned a bunch of times buying relatively expensive, but cheaply manufactured tools lately.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn’t even monkey with a non-adjustable regulator. Save some cash and buy yourself a decent adjustable reg. and pour wire to your hearts content. I have a Lincoln 135 SP at home with the same Victor regulator on it as the one I use at work on a 500 amp ESAB. It’s dead nuts reliable and the leak down on it is impeccable. It’ll hold pressure for a solid couple weeks with the valve closed and even then it might drop 3-4 psi. This is a regulator that’s been in service for over 10 years, been dropped on the floor and otherwise completely mishandled. Not to mention, when it’s 90 degrees and windy, you can turn the gas up and keep burning.

Thanks for the input, brotha. Looked up some Victor regs online for about 100 bucks. Sound about right? By any chance, do you know which model regulator you bought and where you got it? Much appreciated. :icon_welder:

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Unfortunately I’m not sure they make the exact regulators I’m using anymore which are 541I regs with flow meters on them.

Here’s the one I use at work for reference. Sorry the pic sucks a little.

I had one of these on my machine at home and we are replacing the old regulators at work with them. Also reliable as all heck as long as you don’t drop them (certain death for any regulator)

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, man. I definitely like the price... which makes me nervous. Any idea where it’s made? China? Do you run into problems trying not to break that big plastic square gauge off the top? I’m seeing this on a lot more gauges these days. Is it actually better, or just a way for corporations to pinch pennies on brass? Sorry for the questions... I’ve just been burned a bunch of times buying relatively expensive, but cheaply manufactured tools lately.
I'm not really sure where it's made, prob China. Its worked fine for me so far, I'v bought a lot of stuff from USAweld.com (HTP America) and it all seems like purdy good stuff. So far I haven't broken it, it's on a small tank attached to the back of my welder and gets banged around some. I much prefer flometers over pressure gauges for MIG welding.

Last edited:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Unfortunately I’m not sure they make the exact regulators I’m using anymore which are 541I regs with flow meters on them.

Here’s the one I use at work for reference. Sorry the pic sucks a little.

I had one of these on my machine at home and we are replacing the old regulators at work with them. Also reliable as all heck as long as you don’t drop them (certain death for any regulator)

Dude, don’t be sorry at all!! Thanks so much - I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts! :icon_thumby: I am kind of curious as to what the benefit is as far as the flow meters over the old gauges. But again, thanks a bunch! :icon_hornsup:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not really sure where it's made, prob China. Its worked fine for me so far, I'v bought a lot of stuff from USAweld.com (HTP America) and it all seems like purdy good stuff. So far I haven't broken it, it's on a small tank attached to the back of my welder and gets banged around some. I much prefer flometers over pressure gauges for MIG welding.
Well hey, cool. Thanks for the input! Out of curiosity, may I ask why you prefer the flow meters over pressure gauges when it comes to MIG welding? Just trying to learn.

Thanks a bunch for your help! :icon_thumby::beer::icon_welder:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals