• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stuck in 4-Low on 1994 Mazda B4000

mattwebb80

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ladies & Gents,

I could really use some help with this one.
I've been working on this truck for a while getting it back to road ready state and i'm SOOO close to being finished.
During a final test drive, I was driving the truck around in 4WD and Low Range.
I pulled up to a curve, took it out of Low Range and 4WD successfully, backed the truck up and pulled it back onto the road I was turning from when I noticed that the lights in my 4WD/low range switch were not working, nor were the indicators.

I kept messing with the switch thinking that the truck was not engaging 4WD or Low Range. I tried to pull out and found that the truck was indeed in 4WD and Low Range. I figured, well, maybe the indicator light has just burned out, however, now, I CANNOT get it out of 4WD and Low Range.

I have attempted backing up for long distances to see if the 4WD and Low Range were wound up and the only thing i've noticed is that when I turn the lights on in the truck, the 4WD switch lights will burn, but they will take a minute to come on, or you have to slap the top of the dash and sometimes they will blink on.

Thinking this may be a switch problem, I pulled the spare switch out of my parts truck and swapped the switches, but I get the same behavior.

I have accessed the electronic shift module located behind the jump seat in the extended cab portion of the truck. I have unplugged the front two plugs and left the pig tail connected and performed the module self test. I received a blinking light and to my understanding, that states that the module is not faulty, is that correct?

Ultimately, the problem and symptoms are this:

1. The truck is seemingly stuck in 4WD and Low Range.
2. The switch is not disengaging Low Range and then 4WD.
3. The switch is not lighting up properly or displaying the indicators of it's state. I have swapped the switch with a known good switch and received the same results.
4. I have verified the 20 AMP fuse under the hood and Fuse # 7 under the dash are good, and then replaced them with known good fuses just to be safe.

I really need some help with this one.

Thanks a bunch!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The shift motor on the transfer case often quits working from lack of use over the years, gets stuck and won't respond to electrical input, usually brushes are not making contact.

It needs to be removed and replaced or cleaned, but try tapping on it with "something" and see if it shakes the brushes loose and it starts working again.

Here is a How-to on the shift motor:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TCaseshiftmotor.shtml

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Buy a shiftster. For now remove it and turn it with some players.

mattwebb80

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I got to work on this problem this past weekend.
I pulled the shift motor off of my parts truck and swapped them out.
Up and running again, thanks for the pointers! :headbang:

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
Sounds like you got it fixed, but I have to throw in the obvious, since I've overlooked it in the past myself.

When switching from 4HI to 4LO and back, were you completely stopped with the transmission in neutral and the brake pedal depressed? It may be different on the 1994, but that's how things have to be on my 1998.

Sometimes things do get stuck if not used for a while, and sometimes we just don't RTFM :icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals