• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine stalls when gas tank is 1/4 full

T Rat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Supercab
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just purchased a 97 Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4. When the fuel tank gets to about 1/4 - it acts like it is going to stall out when I accelerate. This week it actually did stall. When I fill the tank things are fine until it reaches 1/4 again. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to The Ranger Station!

Since it is a "new to you" truck, I suggest replacing the fuel filter.

Next would be to test the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

Gatorjoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In my experience most likely there is sediment in the fuel tank. If it's only happening when the gas is at 1/4 or less there's no sense in checkin or replacing the fuel filter.

T Rat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Supercab
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Follow Up

OK, I changed out the fuel filter, but when the tank got down to 1/4 again the problem still existed. Would it be a good idea to change out the fuel pump assembly while I have the fuel tank dropped out anyway?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
lol it sounds like you're fuel gauge is actually reading incorrectly and you're just running out of gas.

does it restart and run fine or does it not start until you add more fuel?

T Rat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Supercab
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, it starts again. Sometimes it takes a few seconds of cranking, but it has always started. I then drive to the gas station to fill it up -- it usually takes about 15 gals so the gauge is pretty close.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
im not sure if the tanks got bigger, mine takes 15 gallons maximum if i've run it almost dry.

soyfela

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
starts and shuts off after 1min.What's up?

my 94 ranger v6-4.0 starts and shuts off after running for appx.1min.then needs about 2 min's.before it starts again.put a new gas filter and clean the air filter that appeared to be in good condition.i put apprx.6gal's. of gas in the tank just to make sure it had gas.can someone guide me in the right direction.i'm not good at auto mechanics,you could say i'm a dummie.won't bother me!!!Help!!:icon_confused:

NY Prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I also would have to say the same about the gauge. sounds like that or the sending unit maybe bad if its taking 15 gallons then you could be bone dry my tank is only 15 gallons to emty aswell, and if you already have the tank out to do the other things?? Is there gas in it you will feel if there is anything in there if it says u have a 1/4 tank. If not then theres your answer. good luck

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Put about 4 ozs of acetone in the tank with a couple fill ups fillups and run it close to empty see if that helps. The guage is working correct and it is still running try chemical treatment first before you pull the tank. Dont use too much acetone and run it all the way through. That will clean out the fuel system before you replace the pump.

T Rat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Supercab
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just purchased a 97 Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4. When the fuel tank gets to about 1/4 - it acts like it is going to stall out when I accelerate. This week it actually did stall. When I fill the tank things are fine until it reaches 1/4 again. Any ideas what could be wrong?
Changed out the pump over the weekend and ran the tank to near empty without any issues. Filled up with 19 gals so the tank was quite low. Appears that the pump may have been getting weak as it heated up due to lower fuel levels? Anyway, it appears to be fixed. Thanks.

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
That makes sense that the pump could have been weak. I'll put that info in storage for when I need it later.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals