Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 01-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
6gun

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Weekend Exploring/Travel
My credo: I'm not afraid of dying, not living terrifies me!
6gun is on a distinguished road
Default Radiator time!

My '99 radiator has started leaking so time to replace! I've found a good- looking all-aluminum piece on the evilbay for $179 which I think is very reasonable. Does anybody have any recommendations? I've been sinking a ton of money in this thing lately and trying to not shortcut anything.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
6gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 29781F0E77DE4B Expires: March 31, 2019
Old 01-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
RonD

Vehicle Year: 1994
RonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant future

Get a radiator for an AC vehicle even if you don't have AC, and for an automatic even if you have a manual trans, they should be double core

Other than that I don't think there is much difference between brands, look at past reviews
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
6gun

After reading and comparing for about an hour or so today I finally gambled and ordered this unit off of the evilbay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264062260670

I like the all aluminum construction.

Now to get new hoses, clamps, water pump, thermostat, and anti-freeze bought up. Might as well do it all right.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
Dirtman

Vehicle Year: 2009
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: Squishing jelly beans
My credo: give me money.
Dirtman will become famous soon enoughDirtman will become famous soon enough

Ebay has great deals but when they fail you eat it. You may pay 100 more for a part with an actual brand from an actual store but you get an actual warranty. And the reviews on ebay are worth as much as a promise from a car salesman. They are fake, or done immediately and not edit-able 3 months later when the part explodes.
Dirtman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
6gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman View Post
Ebay has great deals but when they fail you eat it. You may pay 100 more for a part with an actual brand from an actual store but you get an actual warranty. And the reviews on ebay are worth as much as a promise from a car salesman. They are fake, or done immediately and not edit-able 3 months later when the part explodes.

I get this, and I understand all of the gambling involved. I actually paid more for this than a standard replacement unit would've cost. If it is as nice as it looks, money well spent, if not lesson learned. As far as reviews, I read them fully and dismiss half of what they say anyway.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #6
Dirtman

Vehicle Year: 2009
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: Squishing jelly beans
My credo: give me money.
Dirtman will become famous soon enoughDirtman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gun View Post
I get this, and I understand all of the gambling involved. I actually paid more for this than a standard replacement unit would've cost. If it is as nice as it looks, money well spent, if not lesson learned. As far as reviews, I read them fully and dismiss half of what they say anyway.
I ment in no way to mock your purchase. You sound like youve delt with ebay before lol. I have customers who buy stuff on ebay and come to me and say install this... I basically tell them no unless they understand you are paying me no matter what. Part fits or works or not... and you will pay me again if and when it fails. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

I always buy radiators from one company for the past 20 years and they cost more than you could get one on ebay or amazon but I am able to pass on a 5 year warranty. Not once have I had to replace one under warranty. But I've had multiple times people bought cheap online radiators and got screwed.

Waaaay more of a problem with online electronics, I straight up laugh and say no way when someone brings me an ebay/amazon 15 dollar maf or o2 sensor... even though changing a maf takes 2 minutes I wont do it.
Dirtman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:30 PM   #7
6gun

Glad you look out for your customers, not enough techs do these days. I've known the guy that does my outside mechanic work since around 5th grade so I'm not going to screw him. If I want him to put a part that I bring him on, he knows I've looked it over and approve of it's construction. As a mechanical engineer, field service tech I can usually spot crappy stuff real quick. I also understand not everyone has my eye/training to spot quality issues. Most are just wanting to save a buck.