Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > V6 Forums > 2.9 Liter Forum

Notices

Old 01-08-2019, 04:01 PM   #11
rusty ol ranger

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Tetanus Awareness
My credo: A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
rusty ol ranger has a spectacular aura aboutrusty ol ranger has a spectacular aura about

It doesnt tick. If thats what youre gettin at
Member since March 2002
rusty ol ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 29781F0E77DE4B Expires: March 31, 2019
Old 01-08-2019, 05:00 PM   #12
adsm08
Supporting Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty ol ranger View Post
Would it still ping/knock with a knock sensor equipped motor?

If the knock sensor is pulling timing that would explain why its doggy at times. Never heard it ping or knock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywalter View Post
hard to hear knock on a 2.9
That's why Ford did away with the knock sensor on that engine. They found that the sensor was confusing characteristic valve train noise with engine knock and pulling timing.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I identify as an attack helicopter.

I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #13
Paulos

Vehicle Model: Ranger STX Supercab
Paulos is on a distinguished road

Rusty,
My fairly new fuel pressure regulator just developed an external leak, but when I tested the pressure yesterday it was 41psi KOEO and didn't lose more than 2 psi after a few minutes. I swapped it with a 32 year old FPR and the pressure was 39lbs KOEO, but when I shut off the ignition, the fuel pressure would very quickly (about 4 seconds) drop down to nothing. Nothing was worked on but the fuel rail and FPR, and I pressure tested the complete fuel rail/injector assembly disconnected from the lower intake, so I know it's not the injectors. I have heard that the check valve is in the high pressure pump, and possibly the fuel tank reservoir, but not the FPR. Apparently it's in the FPR.
Paulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #14
rusty ol ranger

Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Tetanus Awareness
My credo: A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
rusty ol ranger has a spectacular aura aboutrusty ol ranger has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
Rusty,
My fairly new fuel pressure regulator just developed an external leak, but when I tested the pressure yesterday it was 41psi KOEO and didn't lose more than 2 psi after a few minutes. I swapped it with a 32 year old FPR and the pressure was 39lbs KOEO, but when I shut off the ignition, the fuel pressure would very quickly (about 4 seconds) drop down to nothing. Nothing was worked on but the fuel rail and FPR, and I pressure tested the complete fuel rail/injector assembly disconnected from the lower intake, so I know it's not the injectors. I have heard that the check valve is in the high pressure pump, and possibly the fuel tank reservoir, but not the FPR. Apparently it's in the FPR.
I did buy an FPR, before this thread really got commeted on lol, so since i got it ill pry toss it on for shits and giggles.

I think this weekend im gonna do the wet plug test ron suggested a while back and see if those 2 and 3 injectors arnt injecting properly. If that checks out guess ill do a compression test.
Member since March 2002
rusty ol ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #15
Paulos

Vehicle Model: Ranger STX Supercab
Paulos is on a distinguished road

Rusty,
I swapped the new FPR back in after crimping all the way around the outside of the FPR with small vice-grips (where the two halves of the FPR join together). No more leak, and the pressure is back as it was before. No loss of pressure after 10 minutes, and only 7lbs lost after 1 hour. The check valve (if that's what it actually is) is definitely in the FPR.

Also, it appears that I have finally fixed MY stumbling, bad running problems that have plagued me for the last year or so. I did the fuel rail acid wash/soak and cleaned and rebuilt the injectors. It runs like it's supposed to now, and actually has some power that I don't remember it ever having (it's been running bad for a long time!). I am convinced after much reading and research (and definitely some good advice here at the Ranger Station) that ethanol is really bad for these old Rangers. From now on I'm either running non-ethanol gas, or using "Lucas Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers" when I fill up. I'll be posting in the next few days what I did, what I used to do it, etc, because I have no doubt this is a common problem with these 2.9's due to ethanol "poisoning".

Last edited by Paulos; 01-10-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Paulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #16
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
Rusty,
I swapped the new FPR back in after crimping all the way around the outside of the FPR with small vice-grips (where the two halves of the FPR join together). No more leak, and the pressure is back as it was before. No loss of pressure after 10 minutes, and only 7lbs lost after 1 hour. The check valve (if that's what it actually is) is definitely in the FPR.

Also, it appears that I have finally fixed MY stumbling, bad running problems that have plagued me for the last year or so. I did the fuel rail acid wash/soak and cleaned and rebuilt the injectors. It runs like it's supposed to now, and actually has some power that I don't remember it ever having (it's been running bad for a long time!). I am convinced after much reading and research (and definitely some good advice here at the Ranger Station) that ethanol is really bad for these old Rangers. From now on I'm either running non-ethanol gas, or using "Lucas Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers" when I fill up. I'll be posting in the next few days what I did, what I used to do it, etc, because I have no doubt this is a common problem with these 2.9's due to ethanol "poisoning".

Quote:
The check valve (if that's what it actually is) is definitely in the FPR.

think about that for a minute.

if there is pressure on the rail...how does it stay there? the fuel pressure regulator is a variable control valve.. it slams shut with no vac on it. the vac at idle overcomes spring pressure.

the pump has the actual check valve. its primary objective is to hold prime to protect injectors from dry run.

ethanol fuel sucks for the older stuff. but its fine with simple occasional treatments as long as the vehicle is used often. its when it sits for periods that damage gets done.

of course rust/coorrosion never sleeps. it has a cumlative effect. and the injectors catch the brunt end of that.

and injectors should have been checked or replaced about the second foray into this based on reporting...buys everything except those.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote