Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 01-07-2019, 10:39 PM   #1
Jim Oaks
Administrator

Jim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond repute
Question Hey Ford Techs....2016 Expedition issue

my 2016 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4 just turned 70,000 miles on my way back from visiting family in Ohio. I noticed that there is a hum in the front end. There's a little vibration that makes me think of a bad bearing, or the front 4x4 hub is engaged.

Even though the truck has 70,000 miles, I'm kind of surprised that it could have a bad wheel hub. I'm wondering if the front 4x4 hub still uses vacuum to keep it disconnected. On my trip, I hit a large chunk of rubber with the right front. I'm wondering if I could have damaged something that's causing the 4x4 hub to engage.

I haven't jacked the front end up yet to try and figure out what the problem could be. I started wondering if the 4x4 hub could be engaged, and figured I'd try to get some input before I jack it up and start looking around.
Jim Oaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 29781F0E77DE4B Expires: March 31, 2019
Old 01-07-2019, 10:52 PM   #2
alwaysFlOoReD
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: '91, '94, '80
Vehicle Make: Ford, GMC
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Ranger, Grumman Kurbmaster
I use this vehicle for: 4x4 race, 4x4, Work
alwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud of

Does the hum change or disappear when turning? That would suggest the hub to me.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:02 PM   #3
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute

Dads 05 150 would buzz when the 4WD hubs were dragging. Sounds terrible.

Check out my Build Thread

Check out my NAIAS Ranger Trip

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas A. Edison.
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
adsm08
Supporting Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

To my knowledge they are still using the IWE vacuum hub setup. Looking at pictures of the CV shafts supports this idea.

First two things to do are check and see if it changes as the wheel turns, like Floored said. If it comes and goes with slight turns of the wheel you have a bearing.

The next is to open up the hood, and back on the firewall is a vacuum control solenoid on the passenger side. Unplug it. That will lock the hubs in totally and if one is dragging it will eliminate the noise it makes.

They drag because one side looses the vacuum seal somewhere, usually a hose splits, or a seal inside the unit fails, and that side locks. The other side only gets partial vacuum and so it kinda jumps in and out, making it drag and rattle.

If that makes the noise go away look for disconnected or broken vacuum lines to the hub unit.

One other thing that is often overlooked by those who are inexperienced with these setups is that your wheel bearing has a pilot bearing in it for the CV shaft. THAT bearing can fail and cause a huge range of noises from a barely audible squeak to a growl just as if the main bearing was bad. I have taken over a lot of NVH jobs from junior techs who were stumped because they thought it was a wheel bearing, but couldn't find any signs of one being bad, but weren't checking that pilot and it was the problem.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I identify as an attack helicopter.

I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

seen boot clamps squeek. figured it out after it broke... on a blazer.

are you sure its not a tire? when was the last rotation? before you left?
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:52 AM   #6
Jim Oaks
Administrator

Jim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond repute

Tires were rotated at the last oil change around 5,000 miles. It's due.
Jim Oaks is online now   Reply With Quote