• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Constant Backfiring and Flames?!

Michael88STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How do you suggest he adjusts the air/fuel mixture on an EFI engine:icon_confused:? I don't think you can do this without a chip.
Was about to ask the same thing, and considering they don't have tuners/chip a for this 2.9l that aren't cheap Ebay ones ahah.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you have been running rich or have high miles, probably time to change the o2 sensor.

Michael88STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have been running rich or have high miles, probably time to change the o2 sensor.
O2 sense is less than 6 mos old. Probably less than 3-4k miles

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

BrutalPanda

Reaction score
Fuel pressure regulator seem to be fine? Bad one made mine run rich and I knew for a fact gas was getting into my exhaust

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Michael88STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pressure regulator seem to be fine? Bad one made mine run rich and I knew for a fact gas was getting into my exhaust

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
That is also pretty much brand new as well. That's what fixed my original mpg issue. Was getting around 6-7mpg then replaced that and now I get about 10-12

Michael88STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Put the exhaust system back on it. Problem solved.
I've had this exhaust setup for well over a year, why would that be the cause of an issue I've just started seeing a month ago?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
My bad I was thinking carburetor on that for adjusting the air fuel mix. Since this is injected other things not mentioned that could cause a rich mix is an exhaust leak before the O2 sensor, sticky injector or spark issues. Without going back through and rereading is the CEL on and does it work (come on when the key is turned to run)?

Michael88STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My bad I was thinking carburetor on that for adjusting the air fuel mix. Since this is injected other things not mentioned that could cause a rich mix is an exhaust leak before the O2 sensor, sticky injector or spark issues. Without going back through and rereading is the CEL on and does it work (come on when the key is turned to run)?
Yes the CEL works, and Ik I have a pretty decent exhaust leak (even though I keep fixing it) at the headers and the y pipe because the clamps aren't worth a crap so the y pipe keeps falling off the headers some so I'll check it again and try to seal it up a different way and see what it does

Michael88STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
UPDATE 11/26: Pretty sure the issue has been solved. I put some aluminum duct tape on where the y pipe meets the headers because its leaking there, which is before the O2 sensor. The popping stopped for about as long as the tape lasted before it blew off. Did it a second time just to be sure that this fixed the issue and again, the popping stopped. I'll try to get in there this evening to either weld it if possible or throw some permatex exhaust sealant in there if I can't get in there with the welder.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
UPDATE 11/26: Pretty sure the issue has been solved. I put some aluminum duct tape on where the y pipe meets the headers because its leaking there, which is before the O2 sensor. The popping stopped for about as long as the tape lasted before it blew off. Did it a second time just to be sure that this fixed the issue and again, the popping stopped. I'll try to get in there this evening to either weld it if possible or throw some permatex exhaust sealant in there if I can't get in there with the welder.

You know what would work better than duck tape... The stock exhaust. :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals