• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Loud clicking behind dash

Rangerbro2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Currently working on this and not sure what to try next.
2002 ranger 4.0 auto 4x4

Loud clicking behind dash even with keys removed. Only response from key turn in ignition is in turn over position, clicking stops and no response from electronics or starter. None of the electronics are working at all. Theft light blinking an differating speeds.

Ive pulled out the ignition switch but it still keeps clicking with same symptoms. I isolated the clicking to a black box containing a blue plug and a few black ones below and to the right of the steering wheel. Im assuming they are all relays. The blue one appears to be for my blinkers and thats all i could find on the internet.

Im out of my league here any advice or steps to try next? I thought about pulling the relays out but they are in there pretty good, afraid of tugging to hard.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Edit: i keep the negative cable disconnected when working on it and to stop clicking.

Last edited:

Rangerbro2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So i found out its called the auxillery relay box, has horn, lamp, windows relays etc... i pulled a few relays out. The battery saver relay i pulled out and the rapid loud clicking stopped. A faint clicking noise is coming from my passenger side air vent now. Possibly originating from the blower motor? I have no idea whats going on. Im not good at solving electrical issues, any ideas?

Rangerbro2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Problem has been found. My brother came over and we started unplugging electrical stuff and noticed the more we unplugged, the more stuff started to work. Every time we pushed the brake in or turned on the head lights we noticed everything would stop working, even the clicking noise stopped. When i unplugged relays the new clicking was from the blower motor trying to engage. We realized it didnt have enough power to draw from. Battery tested ok and we put it back in and tsame problem. We changed the negative contact and no luck. Jiggled the power wire and lights turned on for a split second. Turns out the positive wire cable has a bad bungle spot that we have to replace, it gets a good connection when its held a certain way, prolly knocked it loose hitting a bump.

Short answer: power draw issue, was able to find this out by disabling electronics via relays and fuses. Replaced corroded negative contact and found a bad taped bungle down positive wiring that needs replaced. Hope this helps someone.

Marty'70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Huh just found this. Nice to see you got it under control.

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Thanks for posting the "Solution". Bad battery connections cause a multitude of problems.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals