• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Ranger "Storm" model

eRush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
:yahoo: Letting the cat out of the bag here... but its for a project I am planning. :yahoo:

I currently own a Ford F150 Lightning and would like to make a smaller version of the truck and have it appear factory, using the Ford Ranger. My first thought was to use the 03/04 Cobra 4.6L DOHC supercharged engine. However, this engine is a little too tall and therefore a little too wide it seems to accomplished without extensive modifications and highly likely having to remove the HVAC system, which isn't an acceptable solution.

More searching for a factory type engine producing approximately 350-400 HP and have smaller overall dimensions that the Ford 4.6L lead me to the possibility of the 4.2L used in the Jaguars. I know the 4.0L and the 4.2L are suitable replacements for the 3.8L that is used in the Lincoln LS. This leads me to believe that the 4.2L would be a suitable candidate for my intended application. Nonetheless, I wish to obtain more information to confirm my assumptions.

For those of you who aren't familiar with this engine, I am referring to the AJ34S. The AJ34S is a supercharged DOHC V8 installed in the 2004–present Jaguar XJR/Super V8, the 2003–present Jaguar XKR, the 2003–present Jaguar S-Type R, or the 2009–present Jaguar XF producing either 400 or 420 hp and 408 lb·ft torque.

I could go the easier route and swap in the legacy 5.0L engine from a Mustang or Explorer but its seems everybody is doing this and it doesnt fit my requirement to be supercharged and factory stock appearing.

Another thought of mine was to use the supercharged 3.8L V6 from the mid to late 90s Thunderbird. The downside to that is the power output is also down, IIRC 215 HP. The upside is there is aftermarket support for the engine and it could be a small stroker with 4.2L parts. Even with the aftermarket and stroker options would I be able to make 350-400 HP and look factory stock?

Additionally, I wish to show the truck at Ford and Truck events such as Carlisle All Ford Nationals. Since the F150 was already named Lightning I wish to stay with that line of naming, similar to the Typhoon and Cyclone GM did with their performance trucks a few years back. During my research into this project I found a company that placed the Lightning 5.4L supercharged engine into Ford Expedition and called it Thunder. Then there is the Thunderbolt option that was available, which precludes me from using anything thunder related. Therefore, I am wishing to call this enhanced Ranger "STORM."

:icon_confused::icon_confused::icon_confused:

Anybody have any additional ideas or possibilities kicking around???

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Go with the Jag engine. I considered a number of engines for my truck when I was planning all my mods, including the jag small V-8s. I think the 4.0 or 4.2 would be you best bets.

Also, if you get to Carlisle, send me a PM. I try to get down there every year, it'd be great to meet up with another TRS member there.

eRush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
adsm,

You wouldn't happen to remember the dimensions of the Jaguar engine?

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
what about the 3.9L in the LS'?? They were N/A, but lightning-quick! If the 4.2L is already S/C then head in that direction..less issues with fitament (is this even a word?? i'm TIRED), etc. in my opinion. I'm lovin' the STORM idea, sounds like a wicked little project you got goin on here..who knows, maybe if you get to the Ford Nationals, the Big Boys might see what you have done, an you can become the next Carroll Shelby! LOL!

but seriously, it sounds like a pretty well-thought out idea. I think you should do it..it would look rad; def different than a 5.0L

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't know them off the top of my head. I know it fits better than the 4.6 but I ultimately settled on the 4.0 Cologne and discarded all the info I knew about putting a Jag V-8 in the Ranger.

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Another thought of mine was to use the supercharged 3.8L V6 from the mid to late 90s Thunderbird. The downside to that is the power output is also down, IIRC 215 HP. The upside is there is aftermarket support for the engine and it could be a small stroker with 4.2L parts. Even with the aftermarket and stroker options would I be able to make 350-400 HP and look factory stock?
:icon_confused::icon_confused::icon_confused:

Anybody have any additional ideas or possibilities kicking around???
Factory stock appearance at that hp level? No. The stock intercooler set up won't handle it. Even with a double IC, which could be argued as not looking factory stock, you're pushing your luck.

At that hp level you'll need to spend lots of time and money respecting details ..... and praying the head gaskets make it home.

As much as i'd love to tote the engine - I know from plenty of experience that you can, and already have spoken of, far better (and more efficient in nearly every aspect of the word) alternatives.

eRush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
what about the 3.9L in the LS'?? They were N/A, but lightning-quick! If the 4.2L is already S/C then head in that direction..less issues with fitament (is this even a word?? i'm TIRED), etc. in my opinion. I'm lovin' the STORM idea, sounds like a wicked little project you got goin on here..who knows, maybe if you get to the Ford Nationals, the Big Boys might see what you have done, an you can become the next Carroll Shelby! LOL!

but seriously, it sounds like a pretty well-thought out idea. I think you should do it..it would look rad; def different than a 5.0L
THANKS!!! Still in the research phase for now.

Last edited:

eRush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know them off the top of my head. I know it fits better than the 4.6 but I ultimately settled on the 4.0 Cologne and discarded all the info I knew about putting a Jag V-8 in the Ranger.
Do you remember where you got most of your research information from?

TheBeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 1970
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My only issue with the 3.9's and motors of the same design, is I see alot of them come in skipping, and need coils and plugs something awful. The supercharged motor's are no better, and I would be a little leary of not using a motor that is as reliable as a stick. Yes, they are quick, but they don't impress me in the reliability sector. Factory appearing has little to do with actually using factory parts, as it tends to more be about how you mount, fabricate, design, and install all of the systems and parts. I've seen a few swaps that looking factory as the day they were born, and if I didn't know any better I would have claimed it was factory. It's all up to you how you do it. Alot of things can be accomplished with engine covers though. I'd throw in an audi v8. They have some serious motors.

eRush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Alot of things can be accomplished with engine covers though. I'd throw in an audi v8. They have some serious motors.
Now there is something I hadn't thought of... :icon_hornsup:

72GTS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've decided to go the supercharged route with my 93 Splash. I bought the motor, tranny, computer and wiring together from a 90 Super Coupe. From what I've read these Supercharged 3.8 are prone to head gasket problems. But at 215hp that stll about 70-80hp more than the stock 3.0 in my truck. I plan on going through the 3.8 before install and trying some minor tricks but I'd be happy with 240-250hp in my little truck without having a huge chunk of money invested. Most would be bolt in and could look factory as long as you planned and fabbed properly. I'll be at Carlisle looking for your truck in June. Good luck. Ron

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I did some web searches, don't remember where I found most of it, this was almost two years ago now. But there are a lot of ways to make it look factory without using factory parts. Its all in the presentation.

I saw a 4.6 DOHC in a 72 Mustang. Fuel injected and everything. Couldn't tell from looking at it that is didn't belong there. If you put Ford engine covers on stuff and cover every set of wires in that corrugated black plastic stuff then nobody can tell.

TheBeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 1970
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Being a truck, and having a decent amount of room compared to the average fox body, you can pretty much use any small v8 that you find fitting, so long as its not ridiculously sized. Something different in one of these trucks would namely be a european v8, and even though people would find it cross breeding, theres something to be said about them. Smooth, quiet, efficient performance from a sub 5 liter v8 would be nice in a small truck.

Great_Big_Abyss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
will the new Ecoboost V6 fit/work? And if it does, can you get one? Just a suggestion...It almost has the power you're looking for!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals