• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First Ice storm of the season

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Round 2 is over of freezing rain. Weather is getting ready for a 1-2 punch of round 3 & 4 Today and tomorrow. I still have power, but others don't. Trees are bending backwards, my fingers are stiff from defreezing the Ranger.

Last edited:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Ice storms always worry me. I've been through enough to know what happens to people's good judgement when the power goes out.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah we got about 3/8" of ice over the weekend. I enjoy tearin around the shitty roads but most people are oblivious of what the road conditions are like. I had to call in a rolled explorer at about 11:30 saturday night. it was 5 high school girls, they were out TPin houses. rollin your car is a pretty harsh way to get busted lol. they were all fine, shaken up pretty good, but fine.

Chic N Stew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9ltr
Transmission
Manual
we don't get ice like that in VA

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Ouch! We're forecast for 75 degrees today, and still in a drought. Hope that you guys catching the winter stuff come through it OK.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
We got hit a little here (N/E IN), but the temp is staying around 31 degrees. Some places are bad, heavily traveled roads are not too bad. More to come tonight. :( I don't have any weight in the back of my Ranger, thankfully I bought a Tempo beater car a couple of weeks ago, which seems to do good compared to some of the rear wheel drive vehicles I've owned. I have a feeling this winter is going to suck this year...

Pete

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya i I could find the cam my DD chevy isn't going anywhere soon as it has about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of ice on it. Well to give you a better idea it has no door gaps no wiper cowl but the grill looks cool

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Do you have underground power lines or pole line? Ours are on a pole and most people in the columbus area lost power the last time we had anything like that. We didn't though.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
man ice looks really cool but it does so much damage. hope your power stays on.

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That Bird house looks like a jail for the birds now lol. All barred up. Good luck with everything and keep safe!

Kona

06/2014 OTOTM Winner
Canada Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
35x12.50x15
We got a couple of inches of snow yesterday, it was great fun driving on the Highway. Yes I know old (91) 4X4 is not meant for 60 mph but man did it help!

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
yeah we got about 3/8" of ice over the weekend. I enjoy tearin around the shitty roads but most people are oblivious of what the road conditions are like. I had to call in a rolled explorer at about 11:30 saturday night. it was 5 high school girls, they were out TPin houses. rollin your car is a pretty harsh way to get busted lol. they were all fine, shaken up pretty good, but fine.
Yeah I'm in Illinois to (lincoln) and have had to unstuck two cars. One nailed a post and the other in the ditch. Then last night taking my girlfriend home , some idoit, was riding my ass, I'm going 30 in a 40(because of the ice) and and can barely see his headlights he's so close. Put on my signal way ahead of time and started slowing down, and he was sliding all over the place trying to stop.... Then there was a taco in the ditch. Looked like he tried driving in it, or slid off,(no damage) but you can see where he tried getting out. A flat bed was winching him out, I went around in the opposite ditch and came out with out a problem, should have seen his face. LOL Some people just don't see the danger of ice, and drive like it's dry pavement.:dntknw:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
we don't get ice like that in VA
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. That's a good one.

I remember a doozy in 1998 that shut down the state from the Panhandle to Williamsburg. Closed the Blue Ridge Parkway all winter due to thousands of downed trees. Knocked power out to most of the state and covered roads, trees, and power lines with up to an INCH of ice.

But we had snow in Maryland.

Last edited:

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
The ice just gotten worse. In my first three photos, the tree was in the air. Now the limbs are touching the ground. But not broken, yet!. My neighbor on the other hand has lost all of his trees except one!!!. I've only lost one oak so far. Snapped the main trunk into two.

Power is still up. Thou I am perparing to lose it tomorrow. 800W invertor and 2x12V 120Amp-H will only provide me 3.5Hrs @ Full or 9.5Hrs @ 300W power. After that, the generator comes out. I have 20gals of fuel (from my Ranger) to provide, should last a week if taken easy on. And enough 16oz propane tanks for the tent heater to help keep my room warm enough for 7days @ night. 3 days if left on all the time.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Yeah, I heard y'all were getting pounded out in the midwest. Stay safe.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals