• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Winter storm Nikko....

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Looks like winter storm nikko is going to hit us. We have had below average temps for quite some time now, but looks like we will get the snow now to go along with it...( YAY might get to play in a few drifts)
Kansas is under a winter storm warning starting tonight, until midnight tuesday...with another round starting this weekend.
Temps here are forcast to be in the teens or lower for the highs...and below zero lows.
Looks like the family will be camping in the basement with the fire place going 24-7 since propane is $$$$$ currently.
On the plus side...we kansas folk know how to deal with snow and ice...so it shouldnt be like a Atlanta mess here..LOL
Heads up for anyone in the path of this storm system and the one to follow...so they say ( forcast )

Weather Channel is calling for 8" to 12" tomorrow and Kansas is acting like it will be snowmageddon. Almost every school district is closed, most gov. offices....etc. Now some buisnesses are closing all shifts, and nothing has started yet. Nothing on the radar in the whole state yet....LOL

I guess its better safe than sorry.

Local News is saying to prepare. Have at least 3 days food and water for everyone in the house. Alternative heat source, battery powered radios, and so on....

Hopefully they will cancel my work and I can go take the ranger and play.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Funny that you mention something like this...

According to the weather channel, we were under a winter storm warning today, cold weather, bad snow, etc. Saw all sorts of posts on FB about the bad weather in PA. Not sure what all the fuss was about, it was sunny here and nice enough out that I took my dog for a walk and had a cigar. So yea, I've officially given up on the weather predictions by the so-called "experts."

BTW, could you send some snow our way? I need to do some plow work and make some money to put towards fixing my plow pump.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Funny that you mention something like this...

According to the weather channel, we were under a winter storm warning today, cold weather, bad snow, etc. Saw all sorts of posts on FB about the bad weather in PA. Not sure what all the fuss was about, it was sunny here and nice enough out that I took my dog for a walk and had a cigar. So yea, I've officially given up on the weather predictions by the so-called "experts."

BTW, could you send some snow our way? I need to do some plow work and make some money to put towards fixing my plow pump.
You can have some of my snow... Come get it. I've had 60+ hours of mandatory overtime this year because of it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
we're getting the icy part of the storm her in cincy. 1/4-1/2" of ice with snow around 4". I'll trade you for just snow. this mix crap is the worst.

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Not much of a storm for us. after all the fear the news was spouting.
Beautiful snow fall , not to wet or dry...perfect snow. No wind...6" fell here. But they are closing all the schools around our area again for some reason. Roads were snow packed ruts. road crews haven't made it out into the country.
Little ol ranger in 4hi had no issues all the way to work ( 16 miles one way)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yup, there is general panic here too. The infamous "chicken little" syndrome. "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!"

Meh. Be nice to get a good snowfall but I'm not holding my breath.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On the plus side...we kansas folk know how to deal with snow and ice...so it shouldnt be like a Atlanta mess here..LOL
Damn does everyone know about Atlanta? Kinda makes me embarrassed to be from Georgia. I'm from Middle Georgia, but it wasn't much better. Day before the snow hit everyone was making panic runs to the store stocking up like it was Armageddon. Gas stations lines were around the block. All for a half day of snow and two mornings of frozen roads. The roads were good enough that I could drive through everything in my Kia. I borrowed dad's truck for a day so I would have some protection from all the other idiots out there driving.

The only reason that the Atlanta mess happened was because of all the idiots up there. The people are blaming the government, the government is blaming the weather service. There was plenty of warning, but the people didn't heed the warnings. The people are just as guilty of what happened as the city was. Bunch of idiots not able to drive in normal weather, put a little ice and snow in front of them and they freak out.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Damn does everyone know about Atlanta? Kinda makes me embarrassed to be from Georgia. I'm from Middle Georgia, but it wasn't much better. Day before the snow hit everyone was making panic runs to the store stocking up like it was Armageddon. Gas stations lines were around the block. All for a half day of snow and two mornings of frozen roads. The roads were good enough that I could drive through everything in my Kia. I borrowed dad's truck for a day so I would have some protection from all the other idiots out there driving.

The only reason that the Atlanta mess happened was because of all the idiots up there. The people are blaming the government, the government is blaming the weather service. There was plenty of warning, but the people didn't heed the warnings. The people are just as guilty of what happened as the city was. Bunch of idiots not able to drive in normal weather, put a little ice and snow in front of them and they freak out.
Don't worry, it's getting like that up here too, and we get that kind of weather every winter. Only difference is that they don't put it on the 6pm news. Far too many people out on the roads anymore that have absolutely no business being out there because they don't know how to handle "bad" weather. Every time it snows I keep praying it'll be a serious blizzard. I'd rather get a foot of snow than an inch, keep some of the idiots at home.

When I was off at college, I can distinctly remember going out to a fire hall gun raffle with a buddy (a ticket got you free food and drink from like 6pm to midnight, what more could a college kid ask for, an unlimited supply of beer). Everything was fine when we went up but when they opened the doors to let us out at midnight... it was a blizzard. I'm talking blowing hard with a foot on the ground and drifts of up to 4' deep. Drove ~20 miles back to campus in 4-low with nobody else on the roads, lol. Police closed the road we got on right behind us so it was just take our time an chill.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
The Gov, declared a snow emergency. I just called into work. My daily job depends on town and city halls to be open and the ability to drive between them. I have enough V days to burn, so I'm staying home. :D:D

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

They can blame whoever they want to but at the end of the day they just are not set up for it even if the locals did have the wheel and pedel skills.

How many snow plows and/or spreaders do you suppose are in Atlanta? How many snow tires (or even non-summer only tires)? 2" of snow with no attention will pack nicely into something really close to ice.

Just a sucky thing all the way around, unless the locals want to maintain a snow fighting fleet for their once in 10 year or longer snow storm they really can't complain too loud.

I think we got somewhere around 6" of really neat snow yesterday/last night. Not reall light and fluffy but not real wet, it is a neat consistancey. Of course it is still frickin cold (truck said 0*) and now there is a nasty wind. My cowl was froze up on my F-150 so after a mile my windows flash froze... so I pull over on the highway and tried breaking the ice and broke the stupid $85 plastic cowl on the ds as well. :temper:

I have had the thing almost 9 years and never had that problem before. :icon_confused:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
They can blame whoever they want to but at the end of the day they just are not set up for it even if the locals did have the wheel and pedel skills.

How many snow plows and/or spreaders do you suppose are in Atlanta? How many snow tires (or even non-summer only tires)? 2" of snow with no attention will pack nicely into something really close to ice.

Just a sucky thing all the way around, unless the locals want to maintain a snow fighting fleet for their once in 10 year or longer snow storm they really can't complain too loud.
This right here pretty much sums it up.

We "northerners" can laugh at the southern handling of 2" of snow, but if you only get snow once in a blue moon, why pay millions of dollars to outfit a snow removal fleet?. I do believe that in those areas where there is no effective snow removal systems that they should limit travel to essential personnel and emergency travel only. And for pete's sake, if the roads are slick as cow snot, it doesn't matter if you are only doing 5mph but are still 12 inches off the back bumper of the car in front of you. give everyone around you some room!

AJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There was 4 inches of snow on the back roads on my way to work at 7 am.
It's been snowing about an 1-11/2 an hour since I got here.
I'm so glad I have a little 4x4 Ranger. :)

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
x2 down here everything was shut down for an impending ice storm. At 7:00 this morning I ran the wipers to get the ice off my windshield and then drove to work. Made great time, there was no traffic :D

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
By this morning looked to be about 8 inches of heavy wet stuff here. Took a couple hours to clear everything the plows pushed up. Didn't want to give it opportunity to compact more.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
We had about 8" of fluffy stuff when I got up and moving this morning. Then we got freezing rain which put a crust on it. Then it turned to rain. Now the stuff is heavy, wet, and compacted down to 5". It's getting downright difficult to move with the truck plow and if we get the freezing temperatures they're calling for it's liable to turn into 5" of concrete.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals