• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

General Grabber MTs in the snow?

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Just wondering if anyone has experience with these. Trying to plan ahead. (going with SJ 2" spring lift, 3" PA body lift for those wondering)

Thoughts on these tires in the winter please? (or not ..... i'll take what I can get)

Thanks.

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
they sell mudders? since when???

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
they sell mudders? since when???
My mechanic's been running the general muds for awhile now, I thought they didn't call them grabber's though.... I'll snap a pic of them when I'm over there later on...

baadboy11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've got the grabber at2's....and they are good in the snow...not sure if that helps at all but :icon_thumby:

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
winter?....summer comes after spring, not winter lol..j.k

the generals, that sorta look like a bfg mud?....I havent seen those for years.Use to be dirt cheap about 8 years ago.$53 for a 33,$42 for a 31.

anyway if they are the same tire Im thinking of, I can tell you on wet roads, they were a bit of a handfull till you got use to them.Just like any mud type tire.they will break lose on wet pavment pretty easy.
I liked them for the price back then,and over all I thought they were a good multi prurpose tire.
I had 2 set's of them, 31's and 33's.And I beat the living hell out of them and they stood up well.millage wise I only got about 15,000 out of them, but then again I drove that truck like a bat out of hell all the time.from wet street drifing,local trial play when it was muddy out(well for san diego) to prerunning and chasing in baja.Overall they were a really good multi use tire for the price back then.
IF I was to drive them on the snow and ice all the time, I would take advantage of thier stud/spike hole on the outter lugs myself.I only took the 31's to the local moutins, when it snowed 2 or 3 times to go play on the snow covered streets.tail happy fun was the name of the game, so cant really say anything for thier manners other than they were :icon_surprised: fun

CJREX

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As a general rule, AT tires will perform better in snow than MTs, simply due to many more "biting" edges in the tread.

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, I won't buy those then. I'll just stick with getting street rubber for the 16" rims I have. I'll work on a big snow tire later in the season.

THANKS for the great info guys. I did more research along what you guys discussed and found lots of similar info.

Oh, and canyoncritter - this is Canada, dude. We have winter in between all the other normal seasons. :shok: :icon_twisted: :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals