• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

keys...

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
so i own a 96 2wd splash an a 95 4x4.. well for sh*ts an grins i wanted to see if the keys would interchange between the two.. as most tend to try their key on another vehicle at one point or another.. i dont know how its possible but the key for the yellow truck unlocks the black truck an vise versa.. only down fall they dont start them just unlocks them.. i found this very odd. ive tried 8 other ranger keys (friends) an none tend to work..

redneckracerx

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
first gens
Make / Model
Ford right?
Engine Size
anything but stock
Transmission
Manual
I don't know about the other gen's but first gen only has 14 keys for the door and 14 keys for the ignition. So basically every 15th truck that rolled of the assembly line was a duplicate. But that gives you 196 different key combinations. It's bad when you've owned enough first gens to start getting duplicate keys:rolleyes:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
a curious thing i learned working at a dealership...our lot guys have to go around every night before closing and make sure all the doors on all the new vehicles are locked. i guess during the coarse of the day, with customers coming and going, remotely locking and unlocking their own vehicles, any new cars nearby that are using the same remote encryption end up getting unlocked. i know ive been confused myself more than once while trying to locate a customers car using the key fob and hearing the horn of a new vehicle on the lot honking at me.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The door key for my 88 Bronco II Eddie Bauer worked the doors of the 89 Bronco II Eddie Bauer that I fixed up an sold... which was a good thing cuz I needed a door key for the 89 since I didn't get one with the truck.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Chevy's and other GM vehicles are notorious for being able unlock with just about any key. Sure came in handy when I accidentally locked the keys in an S10. A few months later, someone locked the keys in a different S10 and once again, another Chevy key unlocked it.

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
it was kinda weird but my friend's key for his 91 mustang unlocked my 94 ranger but my key didnt unlock his door.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
My '94 Ranger keys worked both the door locks and ignition on my dad's old '74 F-250, but not vice-versa.

Brandon12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have an 88 ranger and my brother has a 76 ford highboy but my ignition key works on his door and his door key works and my ignition. And I know early 80's toyotas are horrible when it comes to keys.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did you guys ever see a ford master unlock key?... not sure if thats what to call it but, looks like a bent key, put it in, jiggle it while trying to turn ignition or door lock, and like magic, opens or starts the vehicle...... dont know if it exsists for anything other than fords, or ranger style locks but my one of my friends has one, and it worked on my old first gen..

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Chevy's and other GM vehicles are notorious for being able unlock with just about any key. Sure came in handy when I accidentally locked the keys in an S10. A few months later, someone locked the keys in a different S10 and once again, another Chevy key unlocked it.
thats because some of them only have a few tumblers in the lock itself. means only a few different keys. they keys may look different, but are the same where the tumbler contacts the key, the rest of the cuts are for show! lol.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have rekeyed many gen 1 trucks by disassembling the lock cylinders

There are five tumblers in the door locks but seven in the ignition cylinder.

It's real fun on a bronco2 with all the little lockable storage compartments
because each one must be rekeyed.... Fortunatly the plastic cylinders have
only four tumblers:)

The EASIEST lock cylinder to rekey? the glovebox lock on on a Gen2 or Early Gen3.

The most difficult? perversely the glovebox lock on a Gen1

I have never disassembled the door lock cylinders of a gen3 ina manner even remotely consistant with putting it back together.

AD

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that is how some of the lock smiths replace keys for people. years ago my dad used my old maverick to block another family member in the driveway. they called a lock smith and my dad took my keys after parking it. so the person called it a chevy when they called the lock smith he only brought chevy keys. need less to say the maverick did not move.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals